Pallet Jack Pot

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
I don't know how most of you are, but I am constantly on the look out for "gently" used lumber for building coops and such. It's amazing how much good lumber is thrown out these days. Anyway, I was driving home from work yesterday and a pallet behind a furniture store caught my eye. I went back and hit the pallet jack pot. There were 6 very large pallets practically brand new that were put together with 3 - 5 or 6 ft 2x4s a piece. I could only get 4 pallets on my truck, but I am planning on going by again to get the others today. The 2x4s are in great shape and will save me around $2.00 a board. Other than the time of taking them apart (which I don't mind), they are free. It was disgusting how giddy I was when I realized what I had found.
smile.png
Just thought I would share this with others who might get into using recycled wood. Check with your local furniture stores on a regular basis and see what you can find. Thanks for reading!!
wink.png

Quote:
I get that way with pallet wood.

Also cabinet shops and construction sites are a good pickers choice of wood-obtainium.

I am happy for you.I get as giddy as a school girl when I find free lumber.

Hey I'm with you. This summer I found two pallets for heavy machinery 4' x 6' x 10' for the bases. I also have a local newspaper company which puts ads out begging for you to take the pallets behind the building. The good wood is saved, the bad wood goes in the fire pit.

Quote:
I get that way with pallet wood.

Also cabinet shops and construction sites are a good pickers choice of wood-obtainium.

I am happy for you.I get as giddy as a school girl when I find free lumber.

Mendoza mentioned construction sites as good places. Totally agree to that. Had a little time this afternoon to ride around looking for houses in the process of being built. You can find good sized pieces of press board or plywood that have been cut out during the covering of the walls and roof. These scrap pieces are good for building nest boxes and they are just in the way of the construction guys anyway. Nothing better than free wood.

Quote:
Total score for you KDK1 !!!

Yeah, I was going to build a brooder with the pallets but now I see a new coop come spring time. That will make the Ol' Lady happy too!

Great find! I am so happy to hear that others get as happy as I do at finding free lumber or other goodies to use around the farm most of our friends look at me like I need a trip to the looney bin when I tell them about my finds and they see how excited I get.
wee.gif

Glad I am not the only one looking for items to build a coop or whatever!! When my friend and I take our daily walk through the neighborhood (especially the night before trash pick up) I am always on the lookout for tossed items that I can use for a new coop!!

Friday on the way home from work, I stopped by a construction site where they are building a new office. They have just finished blacking it in, so I picked up atleast 6 boards worth of press board in different scrap pieces. All of it was pretty much brand new and had not been rained on yet (thank goodness). I almost took a picture of it in the back of the truck just to post the pic on here. Tomorrow morning when I stop by to ask them if it was okay, I just hope and pray they don't ask for me to bring it back.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom