Palruf ridge cap help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wet chicken, Oct 27, 2008.

  1. wet chicken

    wet chicken New Egg

    Oct 27, 2008
    I bought Palruf green curved roof sheets at home depot and now need a ridge cap and can't find one anywhere! looked on Palram web site but all I can find is the the ridge cap which is more straight up and down NOT CURVED like palruf sheets are.

    Asked home depot to order and they called Palram and where told they dont make a ridge cap for Palruf product. This cant be, am I the first person to need a ridge cap for a roof product. Am I missing something, can a ridge cap be made form one of the sheets some how? Someone must have had this problem before?

    Does anyone know if the straight up and down style ridge cap will fit the curved sheets good enough to work?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  2. Omran

    Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    IF you have 84 Lumber store around you you might check with them, or look in yellow pages for steel building suppliers.
    good luck
  3. sillybirds

    sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 5, 2008
    I got my green Suntop from our HD. Although I didn't need it on my shed style coop, I did notice they had a ridge cap for the Suntop (which is an opaque corrugated product with rounded peaks and valleys). What color are you using? Is it opaque or translucent? What I'm getting at is that maybe you could use a ridge cap for a different but similar product. (Although it'd probably work, I think you could do better than to use a ridge cap for square like corrugated roofing.)
  4. patandchickens

    patandchickens Flock Mistress

    Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Looking at their brochure (the one that hardware stores are probably *supposed* to be displaying next to the rack of the material) they do not, indeed, seem to make a ridge cap for Palruf.

    What the brochure illustrates you doing is really simple, though [​IMG]

    They have you buy two extra closure strips (the contured plasticky strips that you nailed thru), and use them at the top of the roof to seal between the outside of the Palruf and a plain ol' sheet-metal ridge cap.

    Which seems brilliantly simple [​IMG] Your lumber store may stock prebent metal flashing for ridge caps (actually it is probably pretty much the same thing as narrow valley-flashing for roofs, come to think of it, which they will definitely have), so as long as you can get the wavy-shaped contour strips you should be good to go [​IMG]

    Good luck,

  5. LynneP

    LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

    Gosh they arrived in the same shipment as the PalRUF at our store and we used several where the PalRUF meets the header on the side of the barn. They're plastic now, used to be wood, worked easily. Maybe another store has some in stock? We used the local Home Hardware. Just a minute- I've re-read your post. I was thinking of the wavy underfitting, sorry.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  6. wet chicken

    wet chicken New Egg

    Oct 27, 2008
    thanks for all the helpful info. However I just went with a piece of flashing which I bent to fit the ridge, and used the same screws I used with the palruf sheets to install it, worked perfect. Now I dont have to deal with the... (professionals at home depot)!

    thanks again
    wet chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by