Need Help! Gable Vents *with* Soffit and Ridge Vents?

ChickensInMA

Chirping
Oct 27, 2023
The Boston Area
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! My coop is nearly finished, however I need help with ventilation urgently. My coop is a shed conversion someone else did, and I've been upgrading it. It had no ventilation previously. I've opened up both of the soffits and added a ridge vent, however, the eaves on this coop are very, very small. I'm talking about 1.5”-2” on each side at best. I need more ventilation as soon as possible, as it is getting colder, and my coop is at capacity.

I am thinking about adding louvred gable vents on each side, however, I have read that gable vents in combination with a soffit/ridge ventilation system with reduce both types of vents' efficacy, and in some cases, reverse the air flow inside the coop, and cause that precipitation be pulled inside of the coop. Can anyone confirm this? I could most likely add fairly large gable vents this week, however, I'd like confirmation that the two types of vents can work alongside each other. If not, are their any other solutions of suggestions that you might have? Here is a picture of my coop as it currently is, as well as a picture of the front of the coop where I'd put a gable vent from a few weeks ago. Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20231024_154004889.jpg
    PXL_20231024_154004889.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20230928_222842540.jpg
    PXL_20230928_222842540.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hello! My coop is nearly finished, however I need help with ventilation urgently. My coop is a shed conversion someone else did, and I've been upgrading it. It had no ventilation previously. I've opened up both of the soffits and added a ridge vent, however, the eaves on this coop are very, very small. I'm talking about 1.5”-2” on each side at best. I need more ventilation as soon as possible, as it is getting colder, and my coop is at capacity.

I am thinking about adding louvred gable vents on each side, however, I have read that gable vents in combination with a soffit/ridge ventilation system with reduce both types of vents' efficacy, and in some cases, reverse the air flow inside the coop, and cause that precipitation be pulled inside of the coop. Can anyone confirm this? I could most likely add fairly large gable vents this week, however, I'd like confirmation that the two types of vents can work alongside each other. If not, are their any other solutions of suggestions that you might have? Here is a picture of my coop as it currently is, as well as a picture of the front of the coop where I'd put a gable vent from a few weeks ago. Thank you!
I read the same thing about not having gable vents with a soffit and roof ridge vent system.
However I went ahead and have both.
I have not noticed any issues - but I can’t say I have done a detailed evaluation of air flow.

I read the same thing about not having gable vents with a soffit and roof ridge vent system.
However I went ahead and have both.
I have not noticed any issues - but I can’t say I have done a detailed evaluation of air flow.
How long have you had your coop? Have you noticed water coming inside? My old coop, while also not having great venilation (but fewer birds), had a one-slant, shed roof, instead of a two-sided, gable roof.

How long have you had your coop? Have you noticed water coming inside? My old coop, while also not having great venilation (but fewer birds), had a one-slant, shed roof, instead of a two-sided, gable roof.
My gable ends align with the prevailing wind. In a blizzard I get some snow coming in and I have baffles to prevent that.
Rain never comes in.
However, I do have very deep overhangs which most likely your shed doesn’t have.

Back
Top Bottom