Pandemic Pandemonia explaination

Dec 8, 2020
I called myself Pandemic Pandemonia because that is pretty much a good summary of what the pandemic has caused here. I panicked because I heard our meat plant workers here were infected with Covid. I bought chickens to raise for food. At first I only bought a few hens for eggs but one turned out to be a rooster. Then when I heard about the meat plants I got scared and bought the biggest birds I could get. Jersey Giants because I wanted birds that I wouldn't have to kill like Cornish X and wanted to be able to keep them alive for breeding purpose and sustainability. These are beautiful birds but they are all roosters. That was all I could get from my hatchery at the time. They are all crowing now like a choir performing. I have 8 roosters and three hens. One rooster is Silver Laced Wyandotte and one was a gift a Black and White Brahma rooster. The rest are all White Jersey Giants. All these roosters crowing creates the Pandemonia part of the name I chose. Love them hate to put them in the freezor. I would like help selling them or quieting them down so I could keep them alive before the city dog pound gets called by a neighbor to come get them. So far my neighbors are putting up with the noise but I can't see them doing it for very long. Any ideas??? I'd like to keep a few roosters and especially the Silver Laced Wyandotte because I do have a hen of that breed but he is sooooo noisy. I need help trying to quiet him especially he is in with three hens. I did take him out for awhile today and he was upset but eventually started crowing again after he got used to his new cage. I would consider trading for hens or acquiring Jersey Giant hens too.

I just wanted to add that I have been using a radio in the larger pen that seems to help keep the giants quieter but the other little guy with the hens can't hear it very well. He is crowing almost constantly because I think he wants his own radio and I think the others are wanting a flat screen tv but I just can't afford cable service and all that stuff right now. lol Sometimes I have to go change the channel now with the radio and they like certain things better than others. Next thing you know they will want their own cell phones and cars. lol! They are supposed to be in the freezor but I can't do it to them. They are like my noisy little teenagers now. Well I could if I had to but don't want to.

Last edited:
:welcome

It's too bad that you can't keep them. I love the sound of roosters crowing! Have tried Craigslist?
So far the neighbors have not complained but I can't expect them to put up with all these guys being so noisy for long. If they didn't complain or don't I should be able to keep them. I'm just really really afraid they are going to complain to the authorities and then they may come and get them. I would keep them if no one complained though. I just can't see anybody putting up with this for long and I would like to reduce the roosters to a fewer number without killing them if I don't have to then possibly get some more hens for eggs. Thank you for your reply!

When it comes to excess roosters, there are only a few options...re-home, cull, or keep a rooster flock (with no girls allowed). Some members have used no-crow collars but have had mixed results with them.

Best of luck with whatever direction you take!

When it comes to excess roosters, there are only a few options...re-home, cull, or keep a rooster flock (with no girls allowed). Some members have used no-crow collars but have had mixed results with them.

Best of luck with whatever direction you take!
I never really thought about having only roosters. I thought they would fight too much but these do fight some but not as much as you would think. I have the hens in a separate coop and pen with the one rooster but it is close to the other pen and coop with the larger group of roosters and I have wondered if moving that coop further from the hen coop might help. Thanks for the ideas. I did try a collar so far it didn't work and I removed it but it was a homemade one I put together so maybe that made it not as effective.

I never really thought about having only roosters. I thought they would fight too much but these do fight some but not as much as you would think. I have the hens in a separate coop and pen with the one rooster but it is close to the other pen and coop with the larger group of roosters and I have wondered if moving that coop further from the hen coop might help. Thanks for the ideas. I did try a collar so far it didn't work and I removed it but it was a homemade one I put together so maybe that made it not as effective.

This article about rooster flocks may be of interest to you:
rooster-flocks.72998

Back
Top Bottom