PANIC: disorientated duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by football, Sep 25, 2009.

1. football

football Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    northern colorado
    [​IMG] My duck (hen) is around 6 months old, has been laying eggs & this morning was disorientated. She has been walking in circles & can't seem to find the rest of the flock. She is not with the flock (she is usually inseperable from the other ducks).

What should I do? What is wrong? any ideas?

thanks

2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    maybe you should post this in the emergency section of byc and ask one of the mods to direct this thread over there.

I don't know what could be wrong.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I would go out and look to see if there are any toxic weeds that might be causing this.

4. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Without knowing more about her symptoms the possibility of botulism occurs to me. It's rare, but my drake was diagnosed with it last year after becoming disoriented and then developing progressive paralysis and vertigo over the next couple of days.

If her condition doesn't improve shortly or begins to deteriorate I would get her to a vet ASAP. If it IS botulism, another toxin or neurological disorder, it's not likely to self-resolve.

Good luck to you.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  5. football

football Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    northern colorado
    I took her to a vet & they called a lady at CSU who's job is dealing with poulty...
    they don't know what is wrong [​IMG] & gave her some fluids, antibiotic, & charcoal that she regurgitated quite a bit.
    I hope she gets better.

thanks for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by