PANICKING HENS

killeengreen

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2019
Summerland, BC
So, we have mites, but that's not why I'm posting. We are in the process of cleaning out the coop (I've ordered Elector PSP but it will take almost 2 weeks to arrive), and can't let the hens in there right now but they are super panicked, banging against their coop door because they want to go in and lay their eggs. We set up a couple of spots in their outside run and a couple have laid but the others are pitching a fit. Is this normal? Should we be worried? Is there anything else we can do in the meantime? There's no way we can let them in the coop just to lay as it's been sprayed down with a premetherin (sp?) spray. Will their bodies eventually force them to lay somewhere or will we have to worry about them getting egg bound?

I should clarify, it was One Shot crawling insect killer (like Raid). It was still a little wet in the coop from the spray, and still smells, although we have a fan in there. Will the smell bother their respiratory systems? The other active ingredients are Naptha, pyrethrins, dimethyl ether, along with with the permetherin. I'm not too worried about a drop in egg production for the short term. They are basically pets and we're more worried for their safety and health.

I should clarify, it was One Shot crawling insect killer (like Raid). It was still a little wet in the coop from the spray, and still smells, although we have a fan in there. Will the smell bother their respiratory systems? The other active ingredients are Naptha, pyrethrins, dimethyl ether, along with with the permetherin. I'm not too worried about a drop in egg production for the short term. They are basically pets and we're more worried for their safety and health.
It should be okay once it's dried. We have used stuff like wasp killer here around my birds without problems. Just make sure there's good ventilation. If you are truly worried than they will lay somewhere else eventually.

Definitely have it dry and aired out, and not smelly, before they go back inside.
If there's bedding that's been sprayed, it may take a while to dry, and shouldn't be spread outside either.
Permethrin is very inexpensive and works great, and is approved.
Spinosad is expensive, works fine, and is approved.
Raid, not so much.
Mary

They won't be allowed back in until it's dry etc. The One Shot was our only option short term, believe me, I made a lot of phone calls yesterday. Even the local vets didn't know. I've ordered Elector PSP which is Spinosad. Is there a brand of permetherin?

Back
Top Bottom