Pant Pant... 101 DEGREES!!!! pant pant

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiegirls2, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Chickiegirls2

Chickiegirls2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    hi evry1
    sooooooo hot
    7 wk old chicks panting...
    anything to cool them down... suggestions?

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Some friends told me to freeze some water jugs and place them around the coop.. also ice in their water helps too. I go out several times a day to check on everyone.. we have fans in the coop.. one oscalating on the nest boxes.. I have one broody that is sitting tight.. I know she has to be feeling the heat.

I'll be watching for suggestions from others

Shelly

3. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i have done the frozen jugs too. i also offer frozen watermelon and other cold treats. i noticed that spritzing the run cools the temps some. the chickies don't like it tho [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Mine always avoided the frozen jugs of water. But you can stick one or two of them in front of a fan and it makes a nice cool breeze...

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I only have 8 chicks, so I brought them back into the house until morning. I couldn't get them to cool down and my run doesn't have shade.

When they were out, I filled their water with ice, froze a gallon jug and put it in front of the fan. It was 104 here and humid. I had a cool whip bowl full of ice water that I brought to each one to drink. It was horrible. They were all on the floor, neck and wings stretched panting.

6. urbanchickmama

urbanchickmama Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    our coop has shade all day & is right next to the garden, which gets water daily, so it keeps the coop much cooler than the rest of the yard. also, we give them frozen watermelon rinds, cold veggies & put frozen water bottles around the coop as well as keeping lots of extra water for them to drink. so far, what we're doing seems to be working....

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I stopped on way home and bought grapes to feed, nice and cool. Then took open pan of ice water out to them, they are clueless about the ice water, scared of it, but are dive bombing for the ice so it has to be cooling some. Considering the temp, they look great. It is worrisome, so hot.

8. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    I was just about to ask this question myself, I felt so bad for the chicks today when I went down, they were all pantig like mental...

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Today was 96 degrees here. I filled their run waterer with half ice and half water. They seem to be doing fine so far, though. The coop is in full shade and well-ventilated so it's pretty much the same temp inside as out. Their run has dappled sun. They spent most of their time outdoors today catching the breezes and lazing in their dirt bath while I worked on adding security to their fortress.

10. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Great post. We got up to 97 or so here today & my girls werent too happy. The roos complained more though [​IMG]
    We supposed to be in the 100's tomorrow so ill be doing the ice jugs & ice water as well. Good luck dealing with the heat !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by