Panting chick..?

NukilikUlva

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I'm a first time chick raiser and on Saturday bought six chicks from Tractor Supply. One was labeled a Cornish Rock, another a white leghorn, one a pullet, and three others were labeled red pullets. I'm making a guesstimate that they range between the ages of one and three weeks. They're being raised as pets and for a small supply of eggs. They're being fed Dumor chick starter (which they're about to be switching feeds to Purina's Flock Raiser crumbles) they have constant access to water and food (the water's been treated with probiotics). They're in a sizable brooder with a red bulbed heat lamp that's raised about two feet from the brooder. Only half of the brooder is heated by the lamp and I've blocked off a portion to be shaded which is also where the food and water is located. Most of the chicks hang around the middle of the brooder, and they all kind of move around together and lay near each other (not usually huddling as if they're cold) But all the sudden I have this one chick (who I think is the Cornish rock) panting and yet still laying in the heat? I tried moving him/her to the shaded area but he just wondered back out to the heat. What can I do for him and why is he doing it? He is the ONLY one displaying this behavior. He isn't splaying his wings like he's hot or avoiding other chicks. I've placed him in a shoe box by me near a floor fan while I block the breeze with my body and he's stopped panting.

It sounds like you've set everything up right. I hope it's stopped by now. If not, check her out, and make sure she's eating and drinking and pooping.

She still does it occasionally though I haven't seen her do it nearly as much. She's the Cornish rock for sure. 9 ounce chick. She drinks, eats, poops, and plays just as much as the other chicks. I notice though she doesn't like to walk? She CAN but she doesn't like to. She kind of crawls or walks and then lays right back down. It's kind of funny but im wondering if she has leg problems or if she's just legitimately fat.. (She looks giant in comparison to the others and she's not even the oldest.)

She still does it occasionally though I haven't seen her do it nearly as much. She's the Cornish rock for sure. 9 ounce chick. She drinks, eats, poops, and plays just as much as the other chicks. I notice though she doesn't like to walk? She CAN but she doesn't like to. She kind of crawls or walks and then lays right back down. It's kind of funny but im wondering if she has leg problems or if she's just legitimately fat.. (She looks giant in comparison to the others and she's not even the oldest.)
Cornish crosses are raised as meat birds. They gain weight rapidly which does affect their ability to walk at times.Especially in hatchery stock.

One of my barred rocks is panting. It's almost 100 degrees here today, so I'm just keeping an eye on her for now. If it continues, I'll probably start panicking...

Back
Top Bottom