Panting Chickens

CallyB57

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
hmm.png
I have 6 chickens, about 2 months old. 3 light brahmas, 2 easter eggers, 1 orpington. It is only about 83 degrees max here so far - Louisiana. My brahmas start panting in the late afternoon, though they are in partial shady conditions until about 3:00 and from about 3:00 p.m. on they are in almost total shade. My other chickens do not pant, but the brahmas are panting even at 9:00 p.m. when I open the henhouse door to check on them. I have vent holes in both ends of the henhouse, a large egg door in one end and a 12" x 12" screened window in the henhouse door. I also leave their personal door (12" x 12") open until late (around 9:30 or 10:00 before I shut and latch it. I'm wondering if my brahmas are suffering unduly and is this natural for them, and should I use a fan on them? Sorry, I'm new with chickens.

My light brahmas pant too. I am not worried as they are still the most active and do not seem to be bothered. It might just be something about the brahma breed. Its been around 90 here, so its been a little warmer. I agree with water and shade. Make sure they have that, and they'll be fine.

vortec

My brahmas pant. I think it's a coping mechanism for them as they otherwise do fine in the heat.
What I noticed during the dog days of last summer is that they rest in the shade during the hottest part of the day and do most of their foraging in the early morning and evening hours.
I added poultry electrolytes to their water when temps. reached about 90 or so and it really seems to help.

Mine are panting also but it is hot and muggy here... I have been freezing water bottles and tossed a few in there and they love to snuggle down on em...

My buff Brahma hen is panting today too! So is my EE roo. It's in the mid-80's here in KY too, and also pretty humid. They have shade and deep grass to lay in, plus two rabbit waterers and the duck bin full of cold water. My smart BO's are taking a dirt bath under a tree in some damp loose dirt...

When it gets really hot I sometimes use the mist setting on the sprayer and aim it in their direction. Some of them love it and others don't. My SF's really seem to like the mist!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom