Panting duck

Since it averages 100F here right now (and will for another few weeks), my ducks, especially my runner, pants half the day. They have 5 water stations, lots of shade and a favorite dense shrub to sit under. I take out cold, water heavy snacks for them at intervals during the day, but it is just going to happen.

Ducks don't sweat, like dogs, so they pant to help alleviate the heat build up in their bodies. Check out their legs and feet, too. You will find that they are very hot as well. It's how they stay cool. If your baby wasn't eating, drinking or swimming, I would be concerned. But, if he is just sitting and panting, he's probably just doing what everyone else in south Texas is doing - moving as little as possible and trying to stay cool!

I haven't tried that yet. We did put frozen peas in the water, which many people suggest and NONE of my ducks thought well of it. they snapped them up, then spit them out. It wasn't until they were thawed that half of my ducks decided to give it a try. Then, they were happy.

Back
Top Bottom