Papa roo was violant. Do I need to watch for that in babies?

Tatuana

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
Utah
I honestly can't tell if this thread would be better suited to breeding/genetics/showing, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I just found out that the father of my eggs (A barred rock) ended up in the freezer after attacking a 4 year old. He's always been very aggressive, but this is his first attack on record. Usually he just lunges/fluffs.

I have five beautiful chicks from him that are about a month old. They're pretty friendly, but are quick to frenzy/attack hands. So far the only problems I've had are them nipping at hands if you're working on the ground. They think it's treats. (I stopped giving them hand treats to stop that). They're also prone to fighting with each other. The two contenders for Top Chicken spent a day locked in combat. They couldn't go more than ten seconds without attacking each other. It's settled down, but still happens.

Do I need to watch for them getting more violent as they grow? I think one of them is for sure a rooster. They've all been handled since day 1, so they're friendly as long as you keep your hands away. Hearing papa rooster could have been a guard dog has got me a tad spooked, though. (It's only my RIR ones that are aggressive, weirdly!)

That's a relief. They're going to a home with children. Last thing I want to do is send violent chickens along.

The roo has had aggression issues for a long while. I feel bad for the poor guy. Roosters sound terrifying sometimes.

pretty sure the punnet square applies to behavior, so yeah, I would say that your chances of having aggressive offspring is higher given the blood line but if you are willing to be patient, you may dodge the aggression bullet. it's my feeling though, that you do everyone a favor by using selective breeding to thin out the super aggressive genes. Even aggressive hens get the axe around here.

You might get a nice one out of this batch, or not. I personally don't handle or hand feed my cockerels, I want them to respect my space and move away from me as I walk through the flock. They need to be concerned with the other chickens, and never see any human as a threat. People should not be part of the flock!
My first ever rooster was a total jerk, attacking every human within range. Awful! I moved him on, and did keep offspring, and kept the son who was in no way human aggressive. Genetics matter!
It's also true that management plays a role, but trying to 'fix' a jerk, just isn't worth it.
Mary

I just found out that the father of my eggs (A barred rock) ended up in the freezer after attacking a 4 year old.
Did this bird belong to you previously, or did you get fertile eggs from the person who had him(then ate him)?

Aggression at 4 weeks could be telling, unless it's aggravated by crowding.
Do you have pics of them, should be soon able to tell males from females.

Did this bird belong to you previously, or did you get fertile eggs from the person who had him(then ate him)?

Aggression at 4 weeks could be telling, unless it's aggravated by crowding.
Do you have pics of them, should be soon able to tell males from females.

They were hatching eggs I bought to test my incubator. The roo got sent to freezer camp last week.

The little brats will NOT hold still long enough for a picture! I have a video if that helps are all. (Yard is a mess due to renovations, ignore it)

The silkie and Faverolle I bought at the chick store. I think the Faverolle is a roo, but not sure. He's always fighting with the brown ones. The brown baby with white wings is super chill. It's the four dark brown chicks that are aggressive.

No wonder they mob you, it's the hand feeding. I scatter stuff on the ground, call them, and stand or sit and watch. My hands aren't in the line of fire.
Mary

Really? My other ones would actually wait their turn for a worm. I don't really hand feed these guys anymore due to nips. Only for the video.

Wonders how well you know this rooster and how he was handled/managed....
...and if it was it just the one 'fatal' attack or an ongoing issue.

I'm not sure about a lot of the details. The lady I got the eggs from says he's always been aggressive. I'm not positive how he was aggressive, though.

Back
Top Bottom