1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Papa's Poultry Review

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Autumn Leaves, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Hatched some Light Sussex from him last week. Had 9 make to to lock down out of 12 sent (10 ordered). Six hatched. I lost the other 3 when the power went out while they were hatching - I was at work.

So I'm very happy with the hatch!

2. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

sorry about the loss grats on the babies look forward to seeing pictures :)

3. nhanson521

nhanson521 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2014
    Rehoboth, MA
    I have to write a review on papa's poultry as well. He is absolutely amazing! I had ordered 6 BCM eggs and he sent me 8 and ordered 4 EE eggs and he sent me 6. I had a 100% hatch on my BCM eggs! A 50% hatch on the EE's. Absolutely amazing and healthy. I live in MA and had them shipped all the way from him in California. I could not believe all of my BCM eggs hatched! Would recommend 110%!!

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Does anyone have a review of the birds once they've reached maturity? Size / temperament / laying / breed standards?

1 person likes this.
  5. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Which breed? He has quite a few. And a lot of that is dependent on how they're reared as much as genetic stock.

6. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I'd be interested in the Legbar and Marans mostly.

Assuming that the birds aren't mistreated in their new homes, I would say that genetic stock has a very significant outcome in the final bird.

7. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Genetic potential is a starting place, yes. I can't speak to either of those breeds, as I got Orpingtons. I'm very happy so far with those. He has pictures of most of his birds up on his site, so you can get a pretty good idea of physical type. Temperament, I have no idea.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  8. Amberjem

Amberjem Overrun With Chickens

it would be great to see some pictures of some of the birds you all have gotten from him and anything you have discovered about them :)

9. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Couls someone please share his website or facebook page? I would love to know more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by