Paper thin shells

Bumbles

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2015
Oklahoma
So, this is a two fold problem. First, we were noticing, out of no where, one of our girls was laying a paper thin egg and that the yolk and whites would either disappear or be found in the nesting boxes. And at least once a day, we would find eggs with peck holes in them. This evening, I saw which breed of chicken was laying the egg AND that she was also the one eating the egg. Unfortunately, she’s one of five of the lavenders that we have and I wasn’t able to catch her in time before she ran back to the other girls. So, I’m not 100% which of the five that she is. Now, she’s the only one laying these paper thin eggs while everyone else’s are beautifully thick. They are on a layer feed with free feed oyster shells along the side AND they free range for 6-8 hours a day.

So my questions are:
Why are her eggs the only ones thin?
How do we get the eggs back to normal?
How do we stop her from pecking and eating the eggs?

Thank you in advance to anyone with ideas and/or advice.

B4F4AB4E-A922-44EC-847B-CDB17DAD7F0C.jpeg

I have one girl laying thin shells too.
I know why mine is having the issue though
Long story short
Avian vet suggested hormone shot to stop egg laying while dealing with another issue
It didn’t stop her from laying but all of a sudden her shells are thin
Mentally she thinks she isn’t laying and stopped eating oyster shells
So what I have been doing is giving her 1ml durvet calcium a day
But I break it up into 2 doses 1/2 ml each
so it doesn’t cause her to much at once
This is helping
Shells are still thinner then normal but don’t break in my hand like they were or break as she lays it
I keep her in a smaller area in the night house so I know exactly what egg is hers
Once you narrow down what girl maybe use a leg band or paint a toe nail so it’s easy ti find her and give the extra calcium daily until shells are back to normal
My vet said for at least 2 weeks with my bird

I have one girl laying thin shells too.
I know why mine is having the issue though
Long story short
Avian vet suggested hormone shot to stop egg laying while dealing with another issue
It didn’t stop her from laying but all of a sudden her shells are thin
Mentally she thinks she isn’t laying and stopped eating oyster shells
So what I have been doing is giving her 1ml durvet calcium a day
But I break it up into 2 doses 1/2 ml each
so it doesn’t cause her to much at once
This is helping
Shells are still thinner then normal but don’t break in my hand like they were or break as she lays it
I keep her in a smaller area in the night house so I know exactly what egg is hers
Once you narrow down what girl maybe use a leg band or paint a toe nail so it’s easy ti find her and give the extra calcium daily until shells are back to normal
My vet said for at least 2 weeks with my bird
Thank you. 💕

Back
Top Bottom