Paper towels to wood shavings

When i first get my chicks, I put them on paper towels for the first 5 days, then slowly transition them to pine shavings. Usually an inch or two deep. Never have problems.

Are there any kind of wood shavings that are bad for chickens? Ours are full grown now and I have a chance for some free shavings:
(mixed redwood, walnut, maple
and mulberry)

Are there any kind of wood shavings that are bad for chickens? Ours are full grown now and I have a chance for some free shavings:
(mixed redwood, walnut, maple
and mulberry)

I know that cedar is dangerous due to the oils. I would wonder about redwood because it's also a rot resistant wood but since redwood isn't a common choice at a feed/ pet store I really don't know.

I don't use paper towels at all and never have. I've brooded hundreds of chicks and poults directly on shavings over the years. Have never lost a bird due to eating them.

Yes, they're going to scratch and peck all through them. That's perfectly natural behavior on their part. They are not going to kill themselves doing it so long as their food is fresh, palatable, and they can reach it easily.

I use regular pine shavings. I do put paper towel in the brooder cabinet for the chicks first couple of day while they are finding their feet, but the bottom in my cabinets is wire. Once they go into the chick coop they are on shavings. I have never had a problem with the chicks eating the shavings. They will investigate and peck at the shavings.

I don't use paper towels at all and never have. I've brooded hundreds of chicks and poults directly on shavings over the years. Have never lost a bird due to eating them.
Yes, they're going to scratch and peck all through them. That's perfectly natural behavior on their part. They are not going to kill themselves doing it so long as their food is fresh, palatable, and they can reach it easily.
X2

Well I leave them on paper towels until they start to tear them up. I find it the easiest way to keep the brooder clean but once they start to shred the paper towels I switch to pine shavings. I am not so happy with the shavings but at the same time I have not tried anything else either!

What do you guys think about Alfalfa grass?My friend raises cows and she uses it for her chickens.
I put some in the brooder and the poor little guys were afraid of it at first,so I sprinkled some starter crumbles in,and they all went nuts.

Is it ok to give chicks hay or straw for bedding?

Thank you,
Ed
I toss alfalfa in the coop for my adult birds, I do not give it to chicks. Keep in mind that alfalfa has a high calcium content. Whether or not they'd eat enough to be an issue depends on whether it's available all the time or not. Personally I just really want them eating their chick starter anyway and not filling up on to much other stuff.

As far as grass hay, I get a little worried about impacted crops in young chicks who might be curious and eat to much of it. I also don't use straw just because all those nice, hollow little tubes make great hiding places for mites. My chicks just stay on pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom