paper towels

Nicola

Chook Cuddlin' Aussie
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
ACT
my chicks are now a week old. when can i take them off the paper towels and put them on to full shavings?

I didnt use paper towels. My chick were on shavings from day 1. It wont hurt them,, They might peck at the shavings at first but once they figure out its not food they will stop pecking it.

ok kool ill take em off the towel today thanks everyone
big_smile.png

I use paper towel as an 'apron' under the waterer to slow the transfer of wood shavings to the water. Not a cure - just a stop gap. And it's easier to change out the paper towel every day to keep the area cleaner.

3 week old chicks - absolutely mesmerized.

well i had to clean out the box anyway so they are on full shavings now KICKING it everywhere and of corseeating the realy little bits at the bottom lol they also have cat toys in there that they run awayfrom. and when do i need to take the marbles out of the water?

Last edited:
Mine were on shavings from the get go too...but they ate the shavings and got GIANT FULL CROPS...once I gave them grit it went down (a few days later) but they for sure ate it way more then 'investigating only'...maybe not the sharpest birds, but just thought I'd throw it out there incase their crops start to look giant, might want to give them grit...
wink.png

I am going to start my chicks out on the puppy pads to be on the safe side so they don't eat the wood shavings and to give something easy to walk on till they get their little feet workin good under them!!
smile.png
Not just that I am getting Cochins and don't want the shaving to get caught in their cute little feather feet!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom