Paper Wasp Making a Nest in Our Coop

hiddenflock

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
The Great State of Texas
We went out to the chicken coop this evening to put our ladies/cockerels up, and we found this little paper wasp nest on the roof of our coop, near a window.
hmm.png
How should we get rid of it...we aren't sure about using Raid or some other poison. Thanks.

Go out after dark when all wasps are on nest. Then smash it with something like a shoe or even rolled news paper. Be certain to tear nest down and step on any survivors. Birds will do rest following morning.

I take poultry protector and spray it at wasps. It stuns them long enough for me to take a small log and squash them. You might try whatever coop spray you have on hand so you don't have to worry about it getting in the coop. It might stun them. I'd do it in the morning when it is the very coldest.

If all it does is agitate them then get the heck outta there. The Poultry Protector works for me! But it doesn't kill, just stuns.

Risk minimal when doing the nest smashing. I do it multiple times every year and have not been stung yet while doing it. Make certain you do not have multiple nests where you target one and bump into another. Also calm down, it is not all that dangerous.

Gulp.
wink.png
Okay, we'll do one of those things, thanks everybody...first, what is Poultry Protector? Is it a coop cleaner or is it supposed to ward things off?
Poultry Protector is a MannaPro product in a small spray bottle. It wards off mites and the like, you can spray it directly onto your birds (watch the eyes/face!) and spray it all over the interior of a brooder/coop before laying fresh bedding during cleanings. I've heard that it stuns wasps, too - haven't had to do this yet myself. I'm allergic to repetitive-stinging insects like wasps and bumblebees, and they've recently started swarming my coop to build nests, too. The ones that get inside the coop generally wind up an evening snack for the birds, because they typically go low if they don't have a nest to roost in - and BAM - chicken snack. Mine particularly love the big nasty red ones. ;-)

I'm going to make some homemade wasp traps to hang in their pasture, so they'll A) be drawn to the pasture and trap for control, and B) hopefully stay out of my coop/away from my coop! I don't like the thought of stabbing myself with a needle if I get stung.

Why the interest in destroying paper wasp away from coops / buildings. Unless the are stinging in defense of nest, they are beneficial as insect controllers, especially caterpillars.

I knock the nests down too, not always at night but I’m not allergic to the stings. People that are have to be more careful. I don’t find the wasps dangerous to the chickens, but I don’t like fooling around in there when wasps are around. They can hurt me!

A quick story. When we had 2 week old chicks in the brooder in the coop, my wife stunned a red wasp and dropped it in the brooder. It was a blast watching the chicks play keep away until they finally ate it. They pecked it to pieces to get sizes they could swallow.

Why the interest in destroying paper wasp away from coops / buildings. Unless the are stinging in defense of nest, they are beneficial as insect controllers, especially caterpillars.

I'm allergic and don't always have an Epipen on hand that's not out-of-date, and I live more than 30 minutes from the nearest hospital. The caterpillars around here are beneficial to my chickens' diets, there aren't any that are listed as "toxic" in my neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom