Parakeet or Lovebirds?

Parakeets or Lovebirds

• Total voters
I would get a cockatiel. I have two boys. As it is your first bird I would recommend getting a hand fed one but even if you get a wild one they aren’t that hard to tame. Both of my boys were “wild” when we got them but within the first month were sitting on my finger and singing to me. They do need a fairly large cage like a flight cage and if you truly want them to bond with you keep them inside. Unlike budgies they are very chill and aren’t as aggressive as lovebirds. They love to be scratched and to sit on your shoulder. But one large drawback to cockatiels they have a lot of dander! so if you have allergies don’t get one of these.

Attachments

• E75C2BD9-C406-4B26-A0B9-F7B039F70989.jpeg
    E75C2BD9-C406-4B26-A0B9-F7B039F70989.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 0
I’m actually reading this with my lovebird. I’ve found that lovebirds get attached to one person. The one who holds and pampers them the most. But they can like other people too, they’ll just have a favorite. I’ve had many parakeets and none had as much a personality as a lovebird. I hate cockatiels, the one I have experience with was loud, annoying, chewed on everything and was never satisfied. But every bird has a different personality.
25DD8530-E64F-4FC3-A9BB-A4418F06A10C.jpeg

Another option for you to consider is perhaps a Bourkes Parakeet. They are a little larger than a budgie, very sweet chatter (not shriekers or screechers if noise matters), and can also make very lovely hand tamed birds. I've had some very attentive snuggly little bourkes in the aviaries. Have not known them to mimic whistles or talk - but then I've never tried with them :)

Heres a pic (borrowed from the internet) showing a Rosa Bourke next to a Budgie for size comparison.

RB & Budgie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom