Parakeet

Quote:
i agree totally

That is the phrase I am trying to teach her. I don't know if she'll ever talk, because I can't seem to keep up with teaching her. When school starts, it'll give me even less time to work with her. I am still going to work with taming her.

All of mine picked up "pretty bird" pretty fast BUT none of them learned to talk until they were very tame. Once they consider you their buddy and want to interact with you then it becomes fairly easy to teach them to talk. My little hand raised parakeet was the one who learned the most words the fastest. That bird had a huge vocabulary and even used certain words at appropriate times. But he was very, very bonded to me, if the cage was open he was glued to me like fleas on a monkey.

With your bird I'd work on taming her first. Spend as much time as you can with her, talk to her and make little birds sounds to get her interested. Offer her favorite food from your hand. Mine had a few favorite seeds he liked so I'd wet my finger, dip it in the seed and let him peck them off. She's a little older so it may take a while, just have to be persistent. She's a very pretty bird by the way!
smile.png

Quote:
That is the phrase I am trying to teach her. I don't know if she'll ever talk, because I can't seem to keep up with teaching her. When school starts, it'll give me even less time to work with her. I am still going to work with taming her.

All of mine picked up "pretty bird" pretty fast BUT none of them learned to talk until they were very tame. Once they consider you their buddy and want to interact with you then it becomes fairly easy to teach them to talk. My little hand raised parakeet was the one who learned the most words the fastest. That bird had a huge vocabulary and even used certain words at appropriate times. But he was very, very bonded to me, if the cage was open he was glued to me like fleas on a monkey.

With your bird I'd work on taming her first. Spend as much time as you can with her, talk to her and make little birds sounds to get her interested. Offer her favorite food from your hand. Mine had a few favorite seeds he liked so I'd wet my finger, dip it in the seed and let him peck them off. She's a little older so it may take a while, just have to be persistent. She's a very pretty bird by the way!
smile.png

Ok, thanks. I got her these little fruit things and she doen't touch them. She doesn't like the colored peices in her seed too. Picky bird... She likes just plain seeds and millet seed. I have also tried giving her the honey sticks with the seed on it (I don't know what exactly its called or what it has in it) and it looks like she only picks at it every once in a while. I only see a few seeds missing on it. It seems that she doesn't like anything fruity.....

Today I acctually got her on my finger and watched tv with her on me. I do the ladder with her - Where you keep on putting your fingers under her and she "climbs up".

hmm... "she" looks like a he. Males learn words better.

You should have started training him when he was younger, younger birds learn faster.

Most people teach their bird it's name first, then others later, but if you want to try "Hello", that's fine, a lot of people do that, too.

Back
Top Bottom