1. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Hi,

I own a parakeet. I have tried a little to teach her the word hello, but I just read online that that is a hard word for them to learn. She doesn't know any words yet. I have had her for a long time (maybe 2 years??), and now realized she needed a lot more time with me. So I would finally like to teach her some words. I don't know what is the easiest and quickest word for them to learn, so I thought I would come here. I also need to know how to get her nicer. I have a hard time taking her out of the cage. She usually will bite me when I try to get her out of the cage. When I do try to get her out, she runs or trys to escape from me. I can't beleive I put this off for so long. I feel so bad. Help is appreciated.

[​IMG]
    This is my parakeet Twitter.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

~Isabel

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    At two year old I'm not sure she'll ever talk. As for biting females bite harder then males I'm not sure how to get her to stop biting either but pretty budgie. [​IMG]

3. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    I don't know how old she is, but I have had her for approximately 2 years. So she has to be older than that. I am really going to try to work with her. Thanks!

4. Pretty Birdie

Pretty Birdie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Usually around 4-5 years of age is when it gets too hard for them to learn to talk, so it depends on how old she is. If she can still learn, though, then the best phrases are ones with hard syllables, such as pretty birdie:). Her name would actually be a pretty good word to start with. The best way to teach any bird to talk is consistency. Once you have decided which word you want to teach her, you need to spend at least thirty minutes a day with her, repeating the word over and over and over. Make sure your voice sounds the same each time you say the word. The best way to do this (in order to save your sanity) is to record your voice in the first session. Once you have the CD, you can simply play that while you do something else. When you are having your sessions, you want to remove as many distractions as possible, so that the bird can focus. Place a blanket around the back half of the cage, put her in a smaller cage, take her into the bathroom, or all the above. The more she focuses, the faster she learns. It is usually best to have one session in the morning and one at night. Again, the most important thing is consistency. I can not stress this enough. No matter what it is you are teaching your bird, the key is consistency. I hope this helps you, and I hope you can enjoy the rewards of teaching your bird something, whether or not that something is talking. Good luck!

5. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks! I'll make a CD.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is your budgie tame? If not, that might be the first thing to do, make friends so they want to communicate with you. I can't teach my tiel to talk, but can wolf whistle, fetch, spin, come, ring a bell, and go through a hoop. I figure although she is bonded, she may not talk as she doesn't really have much vocal capacity beyond whistling like a male may have.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I think every one that I have ever met that could talk learned "pretty bird" first... seems to be one of the easier phrases for them to learn

8. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:She is getting tame.. Right now, I can put my finger under her belly and she will hop on.

9. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    Quote:i agree totally

10. luvinmychickens

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:i agree totally

That is the phrase I am trying to teach her. I don't know if she'll ever talk, because I can't seem to keep up with teaching her. When school starts, it'll give me even less time to work with her. I am still going to work with taming her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by