Paralysis in one foot- 11 year old hen

ClucksAndCombs

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
New England
Hello,
So, I have a lovely 11yr old backyard SLW, but she’s had a hard year. Back in August, she had extreme balance issues. We figured it was vitamin deficienty and kept her on them for over a month until she was somehow back to normal.
However, last week I saw something new. Her left leg wasn’t working- that’s all I can say. it looks dead and she can’t put anyweight or move her bottom foot to walk.
I’ll hopefully be able to post a video on Reddit and link it, but I just feel like this isn’t just an injury, and might be a tumor or something wrong with her nerves. No other symptoms or droopyness, no wing problems, just her toes. The balance issues in august and September to this really suggests something bigger. This hen has been around for ages and I’ve definitely grown to love her, just hope she’ll turn out alright.
I know this is all over the place, but I tried to put everything out there.
thanks!

Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? Mareks disease is usually more of a problem in younger birds, but it could be a possibility. A tumor or mass, or infection inside the abdomen could put pressure on the sciatic nerve, causing paralysis. A nerve injury in the leg or the back also could be possible. I would place her near food and water in a basket or dog crate. You may want to try to feed her a wet mash of chicken feed, water, and a little scarambled egg bits, tuna, or canned cat food.

Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? Mareks disease is usually more of a problem in younger birds, but it could be a possibility. A tumor or mass, or infection inside the abdomen could put pressure on the sciatic nerve, causing paralysis. A nerve injury in the leg or the back also could be possible. I would place her near food and water in a basket or dog crate. You may want to try to feed her a wet mash of chicken feed, water, and a little scarambled egg bits, tuna, or canned cat food.

No new flock members this year, and every one is vaccinated for mareks.
Thanks for your advice, I have the little area set for tomorrow with food and water. I’ve been also giving her around 50mg of aspirin and probiotics/vitamin supplements as she just finished her molt, poor thing.
These aren’t the greatest pictures but the best I could get.

Attachments

• 4E8D5DE3-6A94-496C-862F-36398624754D.jpeg
    4E8D5DE3-6A94-496C-862F-36398624754D.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2E3E5BAE-4A1A-4886-8A1B-25AE85ABEC0F.jpeg
    2E3E5BAE-4A1A-4886-8A1B-25AE85ABEC0F.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom