10 1/2 year old hens both experience sudden partial paralysis

Clucktown

Songster
11 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Charleston, SC
My 2 remaining 10.5 year-old bantam hens are both presenting with sudden, partial paralysis. A little over 2 weeks ago, my Polish hen began limping. It quickly progressed so that she no longer was able to use her left leg and can only hop on the other. She spends much of her time lying down or on her roost. As you can see in video (link below), she is able to move her foot but has great difficulty extending her leg. It shakes quite a bit as she tries to place it on the ground. You will also see in the video that she consistently "yawns." I had a hen with a concussion years ago that exhibited similar "yawning" behavior while she recovered, which led me to believe there is some neurological involvement going on. The only other symptom is that her voice has become softer/weaker. She still flys/hops over for her favorite treats. Poop is normal. Crop empties. Just did second dose of Valbazen mid-December. I assumed this was her declining with age related issues until my daughter continually pointed out that Spike (Brahma Buff) could no longer can stretch her right wing. It appears to droop. She has some mobility in it but is unable to flap that wing. Her voice has changed as well in that it is deeper and growly at times. Could this possibly be Marek's if they have never been around another chicken outside of our original flock of 9? If it were not for the almost simultaneous onset of symptoms, I would chalk it up to old age. Should I try vitamins e and b? They have been on Dumor Chick Starter for years for the extra protein. They were laying regulary last spring/early summer. Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/u5sh1yDhSripr6JmhzdtOA.qyaJ_JNKM-ghrCNGqm-YqV

@azygous
@TwoCrows
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

1000005555.jpg
1000005549.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/u5sh1yDhSripr6JmhzdtOA.qyaJ_JNKM-ghrCNGqm-YqV

Very hard to know what is causing the lameness in the 2 older birds. Age and arthritis or internal infection causing inflammation of the sciatic nerve in the leg could be possible. It would be less likely to be Mareks unless a new carrier had been introduced to the flock in recent months. I would try the b complex 1/4 tablet daily, and the 400 IU of vitamin E orally as well. Can you re-examine her crop in the am before she eats and drinks, and make sure the crop is not full. In the video and picture, the polish almost looks to have a pendulous crop. She does seem to be adjusting her crop.

Very hard to know what is causing the lameness in the 2 older birds. Age and arthritis or internal infection causing inflammation of the sciatic nerve in the leg could be possible. It would be less likely to be Mareks unless a new carrier had been introduced to the flock in recent months. I would try the b complex 1/4 tablet daily, and the 400 IU of vitamin E orally as well. Can you re-examine her crop in the am before she eats and drinks, and make sure the crop is not full. In the video and picture, the polish almost looks to have a pendulous crop. She does seem to be adjusting her crop.
Thank you - her crop was actually empty in that video. I know what you mean, though, she used to do the yawning back when she would gorge herself with food and water. She now does it throughout the day even when her crop is totally empty.

Can they catch Marek's from wild birds or is it strictly a disease in chickens? They have never left our backyard and we have never introduced any new birds to our flock since we got them as chicks a decade ago.

Is vitamin dosing the same for bantams? They weigh approximately 2.5 pounds. Thank you, again!

Yes, you can give the same dosage of the vitamins. Mareks could be spread by wild birds especially if there is Mareks in your area. Mareks is supposedly everywhere in the world. But, hopefully it isn’t that. If you should lose one or both of them, I would try to get a necropsy and testing by your state vet. Here is a list of state vets to contact in your area:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

You could try lysine, it's a vitamin supplement that inhibits the replication of this family of viruses. In the future, vaccinating birds for Marek's is recommended.

Thank you - her crop was actually empty in that video. I know what you mean, though, she used to do the yawning back when she would gorge herself with food and water. She now does it throughout the day even when her crop is totally empty.

Can they catch Marek's from wild birds or is it strictly a disease in chickens? They have never left our backyard and we have never introduced any new birds to our flock since we got them as chicks a decade ago.

Is vitamin dosing the same for bantams? They weigh approximately 2.5 pounds. Thank you, again!
Bird poop from wild birds, falling from the sky into their run, or running off the roof with the rain, etc., can transmit it.

Back
Top Bottom