Paralyzed dog is walking by himself!!!

About an hour after I posted the previous post, my friend called all excited that Zippy was picking up his feet and walking almost normally. He is still not able to balance by himself, but the outlook is very optimistic.

Zippy also wagged his tail just a little bit yesterday for the first time. I'd wag mine at that news, if I had a tail to wag.

Way to go Zippy!!!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
Zippy's gonna zip again.

We went over to Zippy's house on Tuesday evening. Picked up Italian takeout. We were in the kitchen pulling apart some garlic cheesebread. Zippy got up and staggered into the kitchen by himself to get some!

His Dad went to grab him so he wouldn't fall, but I encouraged him to just let Zippy figure it out. Yes, Zippy fell over a couple times while milling around for a bite of cheesebread, but he started learning to move his legs to balance himself instead of expecting someone to catch him. He's just like a newborn calf or colt at this point - unsteady but he needs to work it out. Yesterday he took Zippy to his office and it is reported that Zippy ran across the office to go beg for a biscuit from someone!

He gets tired and doesn't have any stamina yet, but it's another leap forward for Zippy because now he's walking on his own.

My heart is broken. My dog suddenly could not walk on his backside. We took him to a local vet and thought he had a ruptured disc. We were told he needed immediate attention. We took him to the University of Iowa. We had an MRI done and showed that our dog had swelling and bruising of the spine. There were not any options for us beyond waiting and seeing what happens after 3 weeks. There is a 50/50 chance that he will walk again. We have to express his bladder since he cannot do this on his own. It has been very difficult, but we are not giving up on him. We are currently taking him to have acupuncture done. He has had 2 treatments so far. I do not know what else to do at this point. I love him so much and will do everything I can to get him walking again. We have spent over 2,000.00 just at the University finding out what was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom