Paralyzed Hen Please Help

Shay88

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2016
East Peoria, IL
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Silkie/Polish Mix, 2 Months old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Seems to have paralyzed legs and wing. Still alert and chirping. Just cant move around hardly at all.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 24hrs
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? not at this time
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. had a broken blood feather on one foot. took car of that a week ago
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Some to very little
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny with some tint of pink and white
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Vitamin tablet in water
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Want to treat myself if possible
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Current stool sample
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Currently on news paper changing often

Please any advice at all is welcome. I feel so helpless at this point.

Do you have a vet that can test a poop sample for Cocci and bacterial infection?
Do you have some photos or video of how she is laying down or of her movements?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Any chance she got into anything toxic - rat poison, fertilizer, weed killer, moldy or rotten food, dead animal with maggots?

The poop does not look good. Quite mucousy with a hint of blood? It's hard to tell. It's possible that she may have Coccidiosis. You may want to start treatment with Corid which can be found at your local feed store in the cattle section.

Leg and wing paralysis could also be something like Marek's. Even if she was vaccinated, the vaccine will only prevent the formation of tumors, it does not prevent infection from the virus.

Do your best to keep her hydrated and offer wet feed, chopped egg or tuna.

Keep us posted.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Do you have a vet that can test a poop sample for Cocci and bacterial infection?
Do you have some photos or video of how she is laying down or of her movements?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Any chance she got into anything toxic - rat poison, fertilizer, weed killer, moldy or rotten food, dead animal with maggots?

The poop does not look good. Quite mucousy with a hint of blood? It's hard to tell. It's possible that she may have Coccidiosis. You may want to start treatment with Corid which can be found at your local feed store in the cattle section.

Leg and wing paralysis could also be something like Marek's. Even if she was vaccinated, the vaccine will only prevent the formation of tumors, it does not prevent infection from the virus.

Do your best to keep her hydrated and offer wet feed, chopped egg or tuna.

Keep us posted.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

I will take a Video of her when I get home today. She is the first chick we have ever hatched ourselves so she has not been vaccinated. I just started taking her outside to a brooder coop to start getting her used to the other chickens. I'm not sure if she was exposed to anything at that time. Her waterer did leak and made some of the bedding modly which was removed and cleaned out. She definitely could have gotten into that.

If you just now started taking her outside and exposing her to soil/ground (within the last week or so) I would start her on Corid. Corid is mild and won't hurt even if your problem is not Cocci overload.

The only way to know for sure would be having a poop sample tested.

For some reason this site will not let me upload a video. It says its too large. I've cut it down to 9 sec and it still says the same thing. I've tried everything.
I ran to the store and got the Corid. If it is Cocci how long does it normally take for the corid to start working? Or for me to see any improvement?

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-26_11-41-27.png
    upload_2017-6-26_11-41-27.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 18
Can you load to Youtube or Vimeo then provide us a link. I have seen quite a few people try to upload here, but it doesn't seem to work:(

It's hard to know how long it would take for her to bounce back. If it is Cocci overload and nothing else, then I would think you should start seeing some improvement within 24-48hrs.

She spit up a clear-ish liquid that had a very distinctive smell. I've been reading and now I'm thinking maybe sour crop? would that cause her legs to be paralyzed though?

Back
Top Bottom