Paralyzed hens

If it's Marek's, a chicken that's been exposed to others-would have to bring it in to your flock. If not, then it may be something else. Have you thought about coccidiosis? Or, could he have inhaled alot of mold? Or eaten something moldy?

I hope someone else can chime in with ideas.

You might want to put a heat lamp on him tonight.

I talked with the vet last night about the necropsy report on Holly. IT WAS NOT MAREK'S!! That's the good news. Results showed visceral renal gout and uric acid (this is what was causing their paralysis)http://www.lorikeets.com/gout.htm , a high levels of Vitamin D and calcium and toxicum levels. Apparently we can only figure that their feed was the cause. I got them started on layer feed too soon. I got these 2 when they were 3 months old and so thought it was OK to get them started on the layer. I had no idea this would happen.
Leadwolf I have no idea how old your birds are, but could this be a possible problem for you, too?
I hope this helps out any others that may be experiencing this problem. Thanks.

http://www.hyline.com/redbook/Health/Gout.html

Last edited:
woot.gif
I am so happy for you!!! However, necropsy showed Marek's for me
hit.gif

I think you should post your results for others to benefit from..under a new thread. Many people feed their birds, or want to feed, layer feeds to early. I think your results would show them that it is important to wait. My birds didn't start on layer until they were well over 20 weeks old. I wish it had been a problem like this.

Thanks for posting your results :)

I talked with the vet last night about the necropsy report on Holly. IT WAS NOT MAREK'S!! That's the good news. Results showed visceral renal gout and uric acid (this is what was causing their paralysis)http://www.lorikeets.com/gout.htm , a high levels of Vitamin D and calcium and toxicum levels. Apparently we can only figure that their feed was the cause. I got them started on layer feed too soon. I got these 2 when they were 3 months old and so thought it was OK to get them started on the layer. I had no idea this would happen.
Leadwolf I have no idea how old your birds are, but could this be a possible problem for you, too?
I hope this helps out any others that mat be experiencing this problem. Thanks.

I don't know. My roo, Clarence is real thin. He hides it well. I used to think he was a bit thin because he's so, well, active with the girls.. But he feels like there's no breast meat there at all. He usually drops treats he gets -for the girls. Lately he's been wolfing them down. I am thinking the "M" word. His nest mates both died a year ago-wasted away. I will have to examine him better tonight when he roosts.

I am so sorry to hear this....just when you think you're safe it rears its ugly head again. I had a couple pullets that did the same thing. I started giving them alot of extra protein and vitamins plus probiotics. They are now both fat and happy and laying again. Maybe he just needs an energy boost from all that activity :)
fl.gif

I don't know. My roo, Clarence is real thin. He hides it well. I used to think he was a bit thin because he's so, well, active with the girls.. But he feels like there's no breast meat there at all. He usually drops treats he gets -for the girls. Lately he's been wolfing them down. I am thinking the "M" word. His nest mates both died a year ago-wasted away. I will have to examine him better tonight when he roosts.

Leadwolf, it's possible. I have some good vitamins here. I'll have to go out and buy some yogurt.

I went out to the coop tonight, and he has a normal full crop, but he has no meat on him at all. He looks so fat with all that feather on him, but there is nothing underneath. He should weigh about 8 pounds, I think he weighs about 4. And he's active, crows, and does his duty, like, not a care in the world.

Back
Top Bottom