Paralyzed silkie after dog 'attack'

SilkieFlo

Chirping
Jan 20, 2022
Belgium
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I have been through almost all the threads regarding silkies, silkie colors and injuries. So I'm what some people call, a lurker.

Unfortunately I now find myself in a position where I need some help. My weimaraner got into my silkies' coop Tuesday evening. She brought one of my 6 months old roosters to the window, trying to bring it inside. She immediately let go of him when I told her so, and he was still alive!

There are no external injuries, though he is paralyzed on the left leg. I'm not sure if it's a nerve compression issue, spinal cord injury, broken pelvis or something else. There doesn't seem to be anything broken or dislocated. I went searching on the 'net and read almost all of the threads on paralyzed chickens. What I have done so far since Tuesday:

- isolated him in the garden shed with a heath lamp
- have been administering multivitamins immediately (daily) these are the ingredients:

Nutritional additives: Vit. A 3.010.000 IU / IU / UI, White. B1 1,800 mg, White. B2 3,200 mg, Niacin 13,000 mg, Pantothenic Acid 3,300 mg, Vit. B6 690 mg, Folic acid 33 mg, Vit. B12 4,300 μg, White. C 60,000 mg, White. D3 2.210 IU / IU / UI, White. E 3000 IU / IU / UI, White. K 190 mg.

- gave him ORS (200 ml water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt) the first two days
- he's on meloxicam 2ml (the 0,5ml kind for cats) a day
- i'm feeding him egg yolk, scrambled egg, cooked egg, regular pellets, dried shrimp (he does seem to be only wanting to eat the egg)
- made him a sling today
- gave him a bath to clean his behind (he does seem to be having diarrhea)

Is the multivitamin enough regarding the vitamins needed for regeneration of the nerves? I've been reading up and have read about the B-complex and vitamin E. I do have vitamin E on hand but for my horses, I'm not sure if it's safe for chickens?

How much does he need to be in the sling? For the night I have taken him out of it. Or should he still be resting and not be in the sling yet? I'm very scared of pressure sores if he's laying all the time, though he does seem to be moving when I'm not there. He's always in a different position. Is it ok for me to help him stand several times a day? Or should he be resting and not trying anything yet?

In regards to progress, he now seems to be able to keep his balance standing on one leg but still isn't using his left legg. There is no reaction whatsoever when touching it. It is still warm. He still has hip movement as I can see him lifting the leg up or sitting on his hock, but isn't able to hop around without loosing his balance.

When should I be seeing more progress? When should I be making the decision of letting him go? Is there anything else I can do?

So many questions, I'm sorry! As you can see, I'm an overthinker :barnie

Thank you in advance for your help, it would be much appreciated.

ps. English is not my native language, so sorry for the spelling or grammar mistakes!

Hard to know without a vet and xray if his leg has nerve damage, but that is what it sounds like. I would think if his spinal cord was affected, he might not have use of either leg.

I would make sure that he gets 400 IU of vitamin E daily, and just some extra B1 and B2. Any type of E should be fine to use. I mix up some wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, and canned cat food, substituting, tuna, ground meat, or cottage cheese to tempt a sick one to eat. Sometimes sprinkling some chick crumbles during feeding will tempt them to eat.

I think it is a good idea to remove him from the sling to rest, stretch, move around, and sleep at night. We love pictures of chicken slings if you have one, so we can share it.

I would give him some time to see if he improves some. It can be hard to care for a disabled chicken, especially a rooster, with a long term injury or disability. If a vet is possible, that might help you decide how far to go. Please let us know how he gets along.

Last edited:
Hi @SilkieFlo and welcome to the BYC community :frow

The dog's theeth will have put a lot of pressure on the Silkie, causing internal swellings (tissue and haematoma) that can lead to temporary paralysis, as the nerves get squeezed.

Usually the tissue and haematoma swellings will start to subside from day 4 or 5 onwards, so be patient and keep up the good care.

Thank you for your reply!

At this time, there are no vets that can see me without a lot of stress for the chicken. I would have to leave him behind for the whole day to be seen inbetween consultations. And most of them would just euthanize because they don’t know anything about chickens.

I will post a photo of the sling tomorrow! It’s nothing fancy 🙈 but it works.

Should I be concerned about the diarrhea? Or is it normal after trauma?

Hi @SilkieFlo and welcome to the BYC community :frow

The dog's theeth will have put a lot of pressure on the Silkie, causing internal swellings (tissue and haematoma) that can lead to temporary paralysis, as the nerves get squeezed.

Usually the tissue and haematoma swellings will start to subside from day 4 or 5 onwards, so be patient and keep up the good care.
That was what I was thinking. I do believe she has a rather soft bite, which is why he’s still alive.

Thing is I have no idea how long she applied pressure, since it was dark outside and hadn’t noticed her going in the chicken coop. Or if she dragged him out of their nest or he stepped outside and she grabbed him.

I can only hope the swelling will decrease and he’ll regain some mobility to be able to live in my flock. Because of the dogs I can’t keep him as a house chicken and life in a shed is no life :(

I will tend to him as long as needed!

Today he really has found some balance on one leg! But as soon as he wants to move, he stumbles over.

I took some photos! (Excuse the mess, it’s the garden shed he’s in, I really wished I could keep him indoors but that would be to stressful for him)

He’s a messy eater in his sling 😅

Attachments

• DBB7435F-CE69-407E-BDF5-7B6973C30E20.jpeg
    DBB7435F-CE69-407E-BDF5-7B6973C30E20.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 7FB29828-D40A-4366-AD0F-785CDE72CE18.jpeg
    7FB29828-D40A-4366-AD0F-785CDE72CE18.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom