Paralyzed?

Ladobaze

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Lexington, KY
I just hatched some chicks (my first time) and two of them had spraddle leg (I thought) so I did the straw and rubber band thing. Two of them were all better within 48 hours. This other one, however, seems to have more issues and im not sure what to do for it. For one, his spraddle leg doesn't seem to be getting better in the slightest, however, im thinking it might not be spraddle leg and might be something more like a paralyzed leg! 😳 Also, he doesn't seem put any pressure on that one leg, and his toes almost point slightly upwards. he also pecks at that leg a lot as if it bothers him.
Thoughts? Advice?!

I've posted a picture of him with how he "rests" his toes. They stay up. Im also posting a link to a video to show how he cant put weight on it.

Attachments

• tempImage7D7nzW.png
    tempImage7D7nzW.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
I would agree that that does not look like splay leg. It could be a slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity (varus valgus deformity, twisted tibia,) or an injury. I would start riboflavin (vitamin B 2) which is found in only some chick vitamins (Poultry Cell and a few others,) in Polyvisol without iron baby vitamins, and in human vitamin B complex vitamin tablets.

I would agree that that does not look like splay leg. It could be a slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity (varus valgus deformity, twisted tibia,) or an injury. I would start riboflavin (vitamin B 2) which is found in only some chick vitamins (Poultry Cell and a few others,) in Polyvisol without iron baby vitamins, and in human vitamin B complex vitamin tablets.
Is save-a-chick good for that? Also, if it’s a slipped tendon will it heal or will he always have issues! My kids have named him (or her) Pepper the peg-legged pirate. Lol

Saveachick vitamins with electrolytes have riboflavin I think, but I would eventually get some human B complex and crush 1/4 tablet daily, and give it in a spoonful of water daily. Baby vitamins dosage is 3 drops daily. Chick vitamins can sometime help in a day or two. Many chicks with leg problems die if they cannot get enough food and water. Sometimes a chick sling chair can be used if there is an injury. That way, food and water are placed in front of them. Take her out often to try and learn to get around on her own. Try massaging her foot some. Here is a good link about chick chair designs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom