Parasite???

CorinneC

Chirping
Apr 17, 2019
UK
Hiya,
Quick question, I was cleaning out the ladies today, and on the top of their poo pile sat the monstrosity pictured...Can anyone give me any idea what in the hell it is?! Creeped me out to be honest. Hoping against hope that its not a parasite!!!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-12-11 at 12.10.06 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-12-11 at 12.10.06 PM.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 39
Hiya,
Quick question, I was cleaning out the ladies today, and on the top of their poo pile sat the monstrosity pictured...Can anyone give me any idea what in the hell it is?! Creeped me out to be honest. Hoping against hope that its not a parasite!!!
Its a roundworm. I'm not sure which wormer you use for them as I use flubenvet which isn't available in the US. @Eggcessive will know. You will need to treat your whole flock.

Roundworms, the most common chicken worm is in the picture. Valbazen 1/2 tsp for a 5 pound chicken given once orally and again in 10-14 days will treat them. Shake it very well. Fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Panacur) 1/4 tsp per pound given orally once and again in 10-14 days will also treat them. If you want to treat for capillary worms, give it for 5 straight days. Getting a fecal test done by your vet may let you know what worms your chicken may have that cannot be seen.

Hiya,
Those are roundworms.
You can treat them with Safeguard (Fenbendazole) at .23ml per pound of weight. Give orally once, then repeat in 10 days. This dosage will treat roundworms only.

Valbazen can also be used. .08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

I would treat all the birds since you don't know which one it came from.

Turns out I can’t get any medication for them without spending £70 just for an avian vet to look at them! I’ve gone ahead and bought some feed infused with 1% flubenvet (I’m in the UK so, yay, Amazon!). Fingers crossed this works because its giving me the heeby jeebies! And I can only imagine the other chickens eating what’s being pooped out so they all have them!! ‍♀️
Can i still eat the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom