Parasites after Panacur and oxytetracycline?

lospollitos2015

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have had a very busy month and a half. I joined BYC right after one of my 3 year old chickens died suddenly on April 1. I started to read and look for symptoms in the remaining 4 chickens, and I noticed diarrhea and a pasty butt in one of them. I isolated her and took her to the vet. The vet said she was a little thin. She did a fecal test, but did not find any parasites. However, she recommended Panacur for 5 days and Tetracycline for 10 days. The chicken was in isolation for about 2 weeks. She got better and just when she was ready to be with the other ones, I noticed that one of the other ones was sick. I immediately isolated her. She was thin and had diarrhea. I consulted the vet and she said that I could treat everyone again with Panacur and Tetracycline. I took care of the chicken, but unfortunately she never got better. I felt terrible that in 1 month 2 of my older chickens died. I also have 6 chicks that are 6 weeks. My first thought was that I did not want my little ones to die too. I want to learn and have a healthy flock. I started to read a book about the health of chickens and have made changes in the chickens diet and in the cleaning of the coop. I give them fresh greens everyday and clean droppings daily too. I thought I was done with this difficult time, and last week I noticed that one of the older ones has a pasty bottom. Her droppings are kind of watery and there is a lot of white in them. She acts completely normal, roosts, eats, pecks, drinks and scratches. It has been 2 weeks since I gave them the last dose of Tetracycline. I have given her yogurt, maybe 4 times in 2 weeks, because I thought the antibiotic might have affected her digestive system.
Is it possible that after receiving the Panacur and the Tetracycline, she could still have parasites? Or is it just the effects of the antibiotic?
I have chosen to not cull the older chickens. They peck and clean the yard.
Thank you so much for any comments.

Back
Top Bottom