1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

parasites in my chickens poo can someone help close up they look like fleas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smudge99, Aug 25, 2016.

1. smudge99

smudge99 New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    i have just brought some new chickens plymouth rock never had them before as i have always had light sussex i have had them about 3 weeks so the build up of poo is only recent so i went to clean them out this morning and noticed parasites in the poo so they looked like little bugs i looked at one closer and found they look like fleas same shape got legs i have googled it and haven't found anything i wormed them last week ,can anyone help are they going to be ok they are separated from my other chickens at the moment ,i also need to inform the guy that is selling these chickens can anyone help please !!!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

How old are they?

In warm weather it only takes a day or so before you see creepy crawlies covering the poop. Flies and gnats lay eggs just about as soon as a poop hits the ground. Try to clean up the poop daily and see if that helps.

Also check over you birds to see if they have any lice/mites which would be pretty common on chickens.

Keep the new birds quarantined for at least 3-4weeks. This will give you time to correct anything you see that needs to be addressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by