Parasites in Waterfowl

Acute Toxicity and Tolerance of Fenbendazole

• LD50 acute, rats, p.o > 10000 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, cattle, p.o 750 mg/kg
  • Livestock, pets and poultry usually tolerate fenbendazole very well.
  • Safety margin (usual therapeutic dose in cattle & sheep: 5 to 10 mg/kg; in dogs and cats 20 to 50 mg/kg):
    • Cattle ≥20
    • Sheep: ≥500
    • Horses: ≥100
    • Dogs: ≥10
    • Cats: ≥3
    • Pigeons: 3

Acute Toxicity and Tolerance of Albendazole

• LD50 acute, rats, p.o 1.55 to 3.25 g/kg
  • LD50 acute, cattle, p.o. 300 mg/kg
  • LD50 acute, sheep, p.o. 200 mg/kg
  • Safety margins:
    • Cattle 7,5 - 10; tolerate up to 45 mg/kg without symptoms (usual therapeutic dose is 5 to 10 mg/kg)
    • Sheep: 5 - 10; tolerate 40 to 100 mg/kg without symptoms (usual therapeutic dose is 5 to 10 mg/kg)
  • Dogs: NEL (no effect level) in 1-year chronic toxicity studies was 0.35 mg/kg/day p.o.
  • Dogs: treatment against Giardia (25 mg/kg 2x/day, 5 days, followed by 50 mg/kg 2x/day, 5 days) caused reversible pancytopenia (reduced number of white and red blood cells) due to damage to the bone marrow.
  • Cats: treatment against Paragonimus (25 mg/kg 2x/day, 4 days) caused reversible pancytopenia, and in some cases lethargy and depression.
  • Alpacas: oral treatment ar 19 mg/kg during 5 days caused toxic symptoms (aqueous diarrhea, dehydration and leukopenia) resulting in death in spite of intensive therapy.

Tapeworms:

Remember that niclomaside is toxic to geese. Probably best to use prazitquantil instead. One can buy praziquantel OTC for fish.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Generic Drontal

Four of the tablets below are almost equal to one feline Drontal (Drontal is available as an oral tablet that contains 18.2 mg praziquantel and 72.6 mg pyrantel pamoate).

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-510/MEDIWORM-TABLETS-100-ct/Detail.bok

A broadspectrum deworming tablet for pigeons, raptors and galliforms. Mediworm is currently the only broadspectrum single dose, combination tablet, known of in the world. Highly effective against Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm.

Extremely safe, causes no regurgitation and is very economical. The small size of the tablet makes it easy to dose. Mediworm is the golden standard in routine deworming.

Composition:
. Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg
. Praziquantel 5mg

Dosage Treatment:
. May be used in the breeding and racing season.
. Dose one Mediworm tablet per pigeon. The tablet must be dosed on an empty crop.
. In case of severe worm infestations, it is advisable to repeat the treatment after 14 days.

Available Sizes; 100 tablets.

-Kathy

Last edited:
In Australia the only thing you can get to worm poultry with is levimasole. I don't believe its safe and I'm planning to get some praziquantel for our next worm. There is also no evidence it works on gape.

In Australia the only thing you can get to worm poultry with is levimasole. I don't believe its safe and I'm planning to get some praziquantel for our next worm. There is also no evidence it works on gape.
Here in the US the only "poultry" wormer is labeled for meat chicken and turkeys, but we can buy other drugs and use them "off label". I just did a quick search on eBay and it looks like Australians can get fenbendazole. Seems like there are two types of the liquid, one is a 10%, one is a 2.5%. Treat for gapes is fenbendazole: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...le.TRS0&_nkw=fenbendazole&ghostText=&_sacat=0

This book says gape treatment is fenbendazole at 30mg/kg for 5 days, but I saw a study that said 20mg for three days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Wormed with Valbazen on Tuesday night saw the first dead round worm this morning on the roost in the chicken poop. so it's working.
smile.png

Hi guys, I have some ammo wormer which is abamectin with montral tartrate, some equest, which is moxidectin, and some Levimasole. My birds are rarely wormy due to my consistent management, but a couple of new birds have worms. I'm going to make fresh egg and biscuit with a little chilli and garlic, and thought about putting about 1 ml of the ammo wormer in. Its a horse one, so 5 mls treats 100kg, I was using it on my pigeons at 0.02 ml and had no drama, I'm just wanting to give the natural remedies a boost. Let me know what you think.

Back
Top Bottom