Parasites?

jeancordelia

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
I'll try to make this as brief as possible. I've been at this location in Utah about a month. I have a rooster and three hens that are two years old. Rooster has been shaking his head violently for about two weeks, increasingly so. Has been eating real well and seemed to be alert and doing fine. Tonight he has his eyes closed standing up and tail down. Help! I have been working with 8, 4 month old youngsters that I hatched in March. A week ago I noticed one of the hens gasping. I checked out the forum and was advised it might be gapeworms. So I got Wazine and put it in the water. I didn't think she drank so I syringed her about 3cc a little at a time on my lap. I put her down and she immediately convulsed and died. The others all started gasping the same way and I put about 5 drops of Vetromec 1% on the back of theirs necks. The worst one died yesterday. The others seem much better. I did not medicate any of the older birds, only the young ones. as my older hens seem fine. I knew he was shaking his head but other than that he was bright and eating well, acted fine. Now he is not. I am not sure what worked and what didn't. What do I do for Roo ASAP? He's a very expensive show Buff Orphington that I got from the Oklahoma show last fall. I don't want to lose him but don't want to give him the wrong med and not be able to follow up with something else when the first doesn't work very quickly. We would appreciate help. Thanks

Your post is a tad confusing. Check the sticky on the illness forum for the items that you ned to post for us to help.
You are talking about too many different birds with different problems.......

I recently consulted my vet about gapeworm and worming in general (preventative-we didn't have any evidence of any type of worm but my kids had been feeding the girls snails and worms from the garden and I read that both can carry gapeworm and got scared) and she informed me that Wazine only treats roundworms. She made me a solution of Ivermectin diluted with saline and a dosage chart for my chickens by weight and had me give it to them orally. I am so sorry for your losses and hope you can get this resolved quickly. You should definitely check into a different wormer.

Sorry
One rooster, three hens, Only the rooster is showing signs of problems. He has been shaking his head violently and kind of stretching it out. Eating and drinking really well and very bright and normal. Tonight he was standing next to me with his eyes closed and tail down. I am very concerned. They have not been medicated at all.

Next bunch is 8 4 month old youngsters. Hens have been gasping and making a funny kind of squawk, only not a normal squawk. more like the noise they make sometimes when one dies. I have been medicating these. Wazine in water about 6 days ago. Two are dead and the rest seem much better. I also used Vetrimex 3 days ago on the back of their neck (5 drops) I raised these myself and they have not been exposed to any other chickens but my own. They have been in with the older chickens about a month. Free range

What would be recommended for the rooster? I don't want to loose Henry. He's a really nice rooster. I don't like to medicate unless I have to. I like to have healthy and keep healthy. I prefer prevention. I have been letting them free range. Thanks

Thank you
I used the Vetrimex because I had it. I am not sure that it helped or not. Maybe I should get straight Ivermectin and use it on the rooster.
Thank you

My first thought is gapeworm. And I see jhfamily5 posted some good info. Another item to look into would be an external parasite overload. Mites/lice that sort of thing. Hope that helps... :)

Gapeworm could do it, and it would be good to consider aspergillosis too (fungal pneumonia) from moldy feed or coop. That causes gasping too.

Valbazen kills gapeworm. There are threads on it, but it would be off-label to use it, as it is not labeled for poultry use.

Do a BYC search if interested, or ask for help finding threads if you need it!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/125346/research-on-worming-chickens-with-albendazole
http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/507144/gapeworms-treatment
see post #5

Last edited:
I doubt your rooster has gapeworm since you stated he's eating and drinking. Gapes are rare in chickens. As ChickensAreSweet mentioned, there could be an aspergillosis issue, perhaps a respiratory disease of some sort, something stuck in his throat, adjusting crop etc...
If you still suspect gapes in your chickens, here's a link. Covey Rise Plantation is the expert, he has dealt with gapes many times. Follow his advice: Read posts #13 & #14.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/602699/worming-chickens/10#post_7931055

Thanks
Due to the move I haven't unpacked my camera so I can't post pictures. I really do think that my pullets had gapeworms, hence he may also have. They have been together about a month. I read the posts. Henry is looking a little better but still shaking his head. He is not getting as much sleep as the light is on at night in the adjacent run for the new meaties. I saw him with his eyes closed again for a little tonight before I put them in. I think that I will order Valbazen from Revival. If I understand the post you suggested it is three times in ten days.Orally 1/2 cc per bird, except for my show rooster, (he is huge and the hens are really large.) I'll check their weight and give accordingly. I just don't want to overdose after I killed the one pullet with the Wazine. Revival has Valbazen and I can get it in about three days from them. If I order tonight or tomorrow they will ship and it should be here Monday. The surviving pullets seems better and I am not hearing the squawk every two or three minutes. However they may just be in remission and not totally cleared up. I don't like to medicate, and wouldn't but in this case I feel that I may have to worm regularly. Especially if I continue to let them out of the hen house. If I kept my numbers down I could keep them in. It's 10x16 They just love being out and I enjoy watching them. Hence they may have to be wormed regularly. If you have any more thoughts please advise. Thank so much.

Back
Top Bottom