Pardoned fowl competition!

Please spare a thought and an honorable mention to the immortal "Lucky", a black and gold Easter Egger that I was gonna process. However, his sweet temperament prompted me to spare him. It doesn't help that the kid opened the box on the drive back to the house and made friends, oh no.

original_99b3df0d-cc3b-4688-8286-aed8d44500a9_20210511_175553.jpg

Lucky is absolutely exceptional because this bird understood death. Anytime I would process birds, the other chickens that would be free-ranging at the time would just roll up after the fact and go 'oh hey, food' and start pecking at the necks of the decapitated birds. Not Lucky. He saw what happened to the mean Brahma mix that he came with, and LEARNED. The next time I was about to process another bird while everyone was free-ranging, Lucky absolutely just LOST HIS $#!% and started SCREAMING and attacking my feet and ankles. Empathy and abstraction? What do you do with that? I put him up in a pen and finished the other bird.

The poor dear has seen the secrets of the universe and gone mad with them. He regrettably dropped dead from a hawk harrassing the closed run, so that technically is another DQ. Just... spare a thought and some love for this sweet boy. I had meant for him to be head roo of my colored egg flock.

DSC_0174 (2).JPG

And a cute video of him perching on me and asking what the heck the dewormer was all about. <3
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WYZgAbeVpD1Wjcox6

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom