parrot and parakeet seed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kathy1, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it ok to give this to my girls? The stores near me do not carry chicken stuff and the feed store the next twon over doesnt carry anything but pellets no grit, seeds etc for chix

I see that blac sunflower seeds are mention here as a snack, is it the same kind as " bird seed ones?? And the whole kernels of corn too, can they eat those??

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I wouldn't use it as full time food. I think chickens need more protein and other things to be healthy. In a pinch it might do, until you could find something formulated for chichens.

3. Kathy1

would it be ok for an afternoon snack?

4. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    It is OK for a snack. I give the left over from changing out my parrots feed to my chickens. They love it. But it would be AWFUL EXPENSIVE for regular food..

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I agree - as a snack in small quantities, it's fine. Black Oil Sunflower Seeds we use for chickens are the exact same ones you get for bird feeders.

It's not nutritionally complete enough for a full time feed, and as someone else mentioned, would be much more expensive also.

6. Bebop

Bebop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sprout them. Try and raise some mealworms. Some Walmarts sell it.
    I would ask the feed store to see if they can order it for you. It's worth a shot.

7. Kathy1

good to know walmart has the black sunflower seeds on sale I might just grab a small bag.

What do you mean by raising mealworms??? I supposed they are good nutrition fo the girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by