Parrot Info? (specifically Greys, Cockatiels, and Budgies/Parakeets)

I have a female cockatiel, got her at the local poultry show at 3 months old for $60 and she came hand tame. Her breeder kept her in her truck so she wouldn't be with all the other chickens etc. i got a huge flight cage at a neighbors for $25 its 36x32x 60 and is long. She is in the cage while we are at work then comes out once we get home from work(3 dogs also live here so her in her cage is for her safety as her cage is in the living room and i dont want her getting stuck anywhere when no one is home) . Your best net is a hand tame bird.. Whether large or small hand tame is the way to go.
You can also look on craigslist for used cages( you just have to clean and sanitize them ) as you can get them a lot cheaper if you shop right. And yes they are expensive and the upkeep for food and toys too ...
I get a lot of toys on amazon as they have good deals.

I have a female cockatiel, got her at the local poultry show at 3 months old for $60 and she came hand tame. Her breeder kept her in her truck so she wouldn't be with all the other chickens etc. i got a huge flight cage at a neighbors for $25 its 36x32x 60 and is long. She is in the cage while we are at work then comes out once we get home from work(3 dogs also live here so her in her cage is for her safety as her cage is in the living room and i dont want her getting stuck anywhere when no one is home) . Your best net is a hand tame bird.. Whether large or small hand tame is the way to go.
You can also look on craigslist for used cages( you just have to clean and sanitize them ) as you can get them a lot cheaper if you shop right. And yes they are expensive and the upkeep for food and toys too ...
I get a lot of toys on amazon as they have good deals.
Thanks for all the info :) I've looked at my local Craigslist but there never seems to be much available :/ tons of reptile and fish stuff though lol

And yeah, I've looked at Amazon for toys and they definitely have a lot of good ones and good prices :D

If you type the word birds in the search box on craigslist it brings up birds and cages for sale. I found a lot of cages that way . I dont know why people put the cages under birds . And make sure your category is PETS

Last edited:
I have an African Gray, an umbrella cockatoo and 2 cockateils. Do your research! I love my Gray. He is very affectionate toward Me. Other people in my family can hold him but he is really only bonded to me. I have had him since he was 4 weeks old. If you are near Philadelphia, Stewart's Bird Farm is a great place for all birds. I got my Congo male for $975. A lot cheaper than pet stores by far!!!! You can get a cage from Craigs list if you do some research. Clean it well. I bought a new macaw cage for him but they are not bottom dwellers so they stay in the top of a cage. If you have a great playstand for him a smaller cage will work fine. Invest in a PVC cutter and pipe and make your own playstand. It will save you money and you can change it around so the birds have new toys to play on.

I have an African Gray, an umbrella cockatoo and 2 cockateils. Do your research! I love my Gray. He is very affectionate toward Me. Other people in my family can hold him but he is really only bonded to me. I have had him since he was 4 weeks old. If you are near Philadelphia, Stewart's Bird Farm is a great place for all birds. I got my Congo male for $975. A lot cheaper than pet stores by far!!!! You can get a cage from Craigs list if you do some research. Clean it well. I bought a new macaw cage for him but they are not bottom dwellers so they stay in the top of a cage. If you have a great playstand for him a smaller cage will work fine. Invest in a PVC cutter and pipe and make your own playstand. It will save you money and you can change it around so the birds have new toys to play on.
thanks for the info!! I'll look into that place and all the tips :) I hadn't even thought of making my own playstand!! That's a great idea since they're really expensive otherwise haha

Back
Top Bottom