Part of her comb is missing!?

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
It looks like the top half of her comb got cut off. What could have happened and what do I need to do to help her heal?
Oh, and yes there is some black spots on there, I posted a pic of our Rooster and most of you said just scratch marks, but now what?

Thanks
IMG_0933.jpg

Last edited:
yikes. that doesn't look normal... I would apply some antiseptic and some anti-pick stuff. I really don't know what could have caused it tho...

Yep, rowdy rooster. I have a Buff Orp that fights the roos and now, after stitching her up from the back of comb to shoulder blades, I keep her separate from them. She refuses to submit and she fights them. She got into a second brawl with them the other day after getting out and they nearly tore off her eyelid.

I believe I read that the combs do not grow back but I don't think that's going to bother the roo.

Check out fowl pox with those purple spots!

There is med for this and it could spread throughout your poultry. Good luck

The purple is just a bruised, bloody, discolored spot, as best I can tell. That happens when a hunk gets bitten out.

Clean and let heal. She'll be o.k. I actually saw a thread on here once where they showed pictures of cutting the combs off chickens and roosters - in areas where it freezes a lot - to keep them from gettting frostbite. You might could do a search and see if you could find it. It showed how to do it and how to treat it.

Thank you all, I was hoping it wasn't anything major. She is actually his favorite hen, if you know what I mean. So I'm sure he must have just been too manly that day
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom