Part-Time Free Ranging - Success

ReelFaster

Songster
Feb 16, 2021
S.Jersey
I've had my girls for just about over a month now and I finally feel pretty comfortable with them and them with me. Although I sometimes think they look at me as one big walking treat for them. So the other day I finally worked up the courage about an hour or two before sunset to let them out to free range a bit and it was a great success. It was pure entertainment watching them walk around, exploring, and foraging for themselves. I thought it was amazing how they stayed pretty much together and never strayed to far away. Often times they would see me or hear my voice and come close and just hang not far from me.

I was also pleasantly surprised how pretty easy it was to lure them back into the run. They go absolutely bonkers for these dried soldier worms I get from Amazon. They'd do just about anything for these treats. I've since let them out a few more times with equal success, although my one Buff wonders and suddenly realizes she is lost and comes running back. You can see the buff is not as good as foraging as my Plymouth Rock and Easter Eggers.

Just wanted to see if anyone else was part time free ranging and any other tips or tricks.

Back
Top Bottom