Parthenogenesis

Mar 17, 2024
Hi,
Does anyone know how common parthenogenesis is in chicken eggs? I've been thinking about taking a bunch of unfertilized eggs and seeing whether any have parthenogenesis, but if parthenogenesis rates are incredibly low, it probably won't be very efficient. I've looked on the web and I saw something that said 15%, but I'm not sure how trustworthy that information is. I am trying to brainstorm possible experiments or projects I could observe involving eggs.

Thanks!

I found this:

In 1972, four parthenogenetic chicks were hatched from 8,532 eggs of the Dark Cornish-type stock5 and raised to maturity. Three other chicks were hatched, but died during the first week.

Seven out of 8,000+ is…not what I would consider good odds. The paper also says the ones that hatched needed special care to make it past the first week.

Hi,
Does anyone know how common parthenogenesis is in chicken eggs? I've been thinking about taking a bunch of unfertilized eggs and seeing whether any have parthenogenesis, but if parthenogenesis rates are incredibly low, it probably won't be very efficient. I've looked on the web and I saw something that said 15%, but I'm not sure how trustworthy that information is. I am trying to brainstorm possible experiments or projects I could observe involving eggs.

Thanks!
:welcome Good luck with that.

Back
Top Bottom