Experiences with "Chick Quest" classroom hatch from Meyer Hatchery?

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
A teacher I know is doing the "Chick Quest" classroom hatching eggs project with her students. I have become somewhat of a chicken consultant for her (lol) since she has never raised them. Apparently the program hooked her up with an incubator and will be sending out a dozen eggs in a few weeks.

I've never hatched eggs before so I will probably be scouring the articles section for that, but my question is more specifically about doing this program through Meyer. Had anyone done it? How was the hatch rate? Which breeds did they send?

I also was wondering if there are any tips any of you may have to make the whole experience go smoothly. And, the teacher mentioned that Chick Quest is stressing that the kids NEVER touch the chicks, because of avian flu. Does this sound a bit ridiculous to anyone else? The rate of transmission to humans is already so low, and what are the odds of a newborn baby chick from Meyer having it?

Anyway, any answers to my questions or suggestions on how to make this successful and fun for the students is appreciated.

I can’t speak to the specific program but Meyer Hatchery is certified to be free of avian influenza.

Meyer NPIP
Thanks for linking that! That's what I thought, although I didn't know that was covered by NPIP. I have no clue why Chick Quest would be telling teachers this then. It takes all the fun out of it for the kids.

I hatch chicks with my class every year, had no idea Meyer had a classroom hatch program! I have hatched eggs from Meyer, it was a great experience.

I let the kids pet/hold the chicks when we feed/give water & clean the brooder daily, but they are older kids and have all demonstrated very good responsibility for handling and care. We wash hands every time immediately after.

We have a plan. I'm going to keep some and then I found people on BYC willing to take the rest. Backup plan is Craigslist.
I hope it goes better than my granddaughter's did. I was asked weeks prior to them hatching if I would take her two. I said "yes," without knowing what they were and we only have silkies here. The day she was to bring them to me, she told me she was sorry but the rest of the kids held them so much and were dropping them so my two and others died. I was abhorred the "teacher" didn't have more sense, but not much I could say.

I hope it goes better than my granddaughter's did. I was asked weeks prior to them hatching if I would take her two. I said "yes," without knowing what they were and we only have silkies here. The day she was to bring them to me, she told me she was sorry but the rest of the kids held them so much and were dropping them so my two and others died. I was abhorred the "teacher" didn't have more sense, but not much I could say.
Wow, I certainly won't let that happen on my watch! In fact, I won't really let the kids lift the chicks up high enough for it to be dangerous for them. I'm glad you said that so I know what ground rules to set.

Back
Top Bottom