Parthenogenesis

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AGravot, Aug 5, 2014.

1. AGravot

AGravot New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    It happened to me! I just went outside to collect eggs and noticed a burgandy colored ball laying next to them with a cord from it and everything. As I looked at it more, I could see eyes and a beak inside the sack. I looked it up and sure enough it is parthenogenesis in chickens. It can and did happen. Very interesting!!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    More info please.

Was this egg under a broody hen for some time with no rooster present?

3. AGravot

AGravot New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Yes. Our flock is about 2 years old and we've never had a rooster anywhere near them. She has been broody for a few weeks now, and it was under her next to the other eggs she has been sitting on. It was the same size as the other eggs but did not have a hard shell and was a burgandy color. I could make out all the features of a chick inside.

4. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Did you let your broody continue to sit on it??

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmmm I wonder if it died in the shell and mama ate the shell leaving the insides?

6. AGravot

AGravot New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    It smelled absolutely rotten and horrible, so I buried it. I had a cord coming out of it with a sack at the end that was split open. It was the strangest thing Ive ever seen

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are the other eggs viable? Had you done any candling?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by