Partial purple comb and slime?

MariBellsy42869

Chirping
Jul 23, 2022
I have a 8 month old Brown Leghorn hen, she was perfect this morning and then an hour ago I noticed the tips of her comb turning purple and she was scrunched. I picked her up and noticed this clear slime coming from her beak as well

 She hadnt laid since Sunday, so I worried she was eggbound but shes still so active just occasionally tucking her head to sleep. I brought her inside and soaked her and the heat of the house and water brought color back to her comb, she was so active she actually jumped out of the bath.

Im not sure what to really do, we live on southern FL and with the freeze coming this weekend its got me concerned

Did you happen to accidentally press on her crop when handling her before the clear slime came out of her beak? That can happen if the crop is full. Do you have a picture of her and her comb? Combs can become darkened on the tips or toward the back normally, depending on excitement or temperature In large combed chickens especially. Is her tail position up or down? How does her crop feel now, and can you feel of it early in the morning after she goes all night without food and water? Does she sound congested at all, have you seen any mucus on her nostrils, or bubbles/foam in either eye?

It looks like drainage from her nostril, probably from a respiratory infection. Those can be from viruses, bacteria, or even fungus. Since her comb color is not great, I would try to get her on some antibiotics in case of a bacterial infection. Tylan 50 injectable given orally, Tylosin powder, or oxytetracycline (LA 200) given as an injection may be used. The first and last may be found at feed stores with syringes and needles, while the middle one is found online at some pigeon stores.Those will treat mycoplasma (MG.) Make sure that she is warm, and in a place with good ventilation. Chickens with respiratory diseases need extra warmth while sick.

I would get some Calcium into her.
1 Calcium Citrate daily for at least a week.
Address the crop. I'd treat as sour. Read the article linked and follow the treatment protocol. Do keep in mind that often there's an underlying condition at play. If you can take some samples to see if worms are part of the problem that would be a good idea. If not, then I'd consider deworming anyway. She may have some reproductive issues going on as well which can slow the crop but try to treat symptoms and see how it goes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Tylan 50 injectable is sometimes found in feed stores, and it can be given orally. Dosage is easier 1/4 ml given orally 3 times a day. If using the LA200 oxytetracycline, that is an injectable antibiotic for cattle. It is given as an injection into the breast muscle once every 3 days for 1-2 weeks. There are posts by some who give it under the skin in the back of the neck. Dosage is a little hard to give since I haven’t used it, and it is for cattle. 1/4 ml or 50 mg is probably what I would use. Repeat in 3 days.
she has passed tonight. thank you all

Oh, I am so sorry that you lost her. Sometimes I do a home necropsy or autopsy on hens that I lose, to look at their organs to see if I can notice anything out of the ordinary. If you decide to do that, take pictures to post here for any help. But I understand if you don’t want to do that.
Im thinking it was CRD the sudden weather shift down here didn't help either..
Im going to pass on the self-necropsy. watching her pass so harshly in my husband's arms was enough, I can't bring myself to cut her open

I would like to start off saying that I am in no way an expert, but the slime coming out of the beak may be a symptom of some sort of crop problem like sour crop? I don’t know, but pictures would be helpful for those that may be able to help. I have read that if you are wondering if she is egg bound you should give her a tablet of calcium to help her get it out. It wouldn’t hurt, but it may benefit. It is good that you noticed quickly and that she is still being active. Good luck with her. I hope someone sees this that can help.​

Address the crop. I'd treat as sour. Read the article linked and follow the treatment protocol. Do keep in mind that often there's an underlying condition at play. If you can take some samples to see if worms are part of the problem that would be a good idea. If not, then I'd consider deworming anyway. She may have some reproductive issues going on as well which can slow the crop but try to treat symptoms and see how it goes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

its 4am here and my husband just checked on her. her comb is pink again, her tail is a little tucked. We applied VetRx last night to try and give her some comfort if it is respiratory until we can get medicine. I will check her crop later in the morning and if it still feels like there is food. Im going to try and get her mouth open.

Vet Rx is herbal oils with camphor, basically similar to Vicks vapor rub. I would get some calcium or Tums in her, and try to coax her to eat some moistened chicken feed and water or electrolytes. Let us know how she gets along.

Vet Rx is herbal oils with camphor, basically similar to Vicks vapor rub. I would get some calcium or Tums in her, and try to coax her to eat some moistened chicken feed and water or electrolytes. Let us know how she gets along.
Yes I know, it was to give her a little comfort until the morning.
well this morning shes now gurgling, I feel horrible. her crop feels likes its almost filled like a little water balloon with a little lumps (if that makes sense). I did the crop and wattle hold to get hwr mouth open, and her breath doesnt smell horrible like sourkruat or anything but I massaged it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom