Partial purple comb and slime?

If someone wraps and holds her in a towel you should be able to get her to open her mouth without too much fuss by holding the comb near her beak in one hand and pulling down on her wattles with the other (firmly but gently). If she's not drinking on her own you'll need to syringe some electrolyte water into her.

Use caution massaging the crop if it is full of liquid and puffy. It can cause crop contents to come back up in the throat causing choking. The gurgling could be crop contents or mucus from sinus drainage. If you have any stool softener such as Colace or doccusate sodium, you can give her one daily until her crop is emptying overnight. Back in post 14, Wyorp Rock posted a good article for crop problems. Crops become slow or stop functioning normally due to other problems that cause pressure inside the abdomen. Reproductive problems are a common cause, followed by worms, intestinal infection, internal laying, and ascites.

Use caution massaging the crop if it is full of liquid and puffy. It can cause crop contents to come back up in the throat causing choking. The gurgling could be crop contents or mucus from sinus drainage. If you have any stool softener such as Colace or doccusate sodium, you can give her one daily until her crop is emptying overnight. Back in post 14, Wyorp Rock posted a good article for crop problems. Crops become slow or stop functioning normally due to other problems that cause pressure inside the abdomen. Reproductive problems are a common cause, followed by worms, intestinal infection, internal laying, and ascites.
I found a local vet supply store that carries LA-200. Im going to treat her with that because she is now sneezing and the rest of the flock as a precaution. i see the withdraw time is 2 weeks but do you guys have any personal experience?

Tylan 50 injectable is sometimes found in feed stores, and it can be given orally. Dosage is easier 1/4 ml given orally 3 times a day. If using the LA200 oxytetracycline, that is an injectable antibiotic for cattle. It is given as an injection into the breast muscle once every 3 days for 1-2 weeks. There are posts by some who give it under the skin in the back of the neck. Dosage is a little hard to give since I haven’t used it, and it is for cattle. 1/4 ml or 50 mg is probably what I would use. Repeat in 3 days.

Oh, I am so sorry that you lost her. Sometimes I do a home necropsy or autopsy on hens that I lose, to look at their organs to see if I can notice anything out of the ordinary. If you decide to do that, take pictures to post here for any help. But I understand if you don’t want to do that.

Back
Top Bottom