Lethargic Sick Chicken - help!

McChickenFarm

Hatching
Mar 26, 2024
I have a 3 year old buff Orpington that we noticed had been a very swollen abdomen around the date of the 15th of March. Thinking she was possibly egg bound, we gave her an epsom salt bath but no change the next couple days. I then looked into the symptoms of water-belly. We ended up draining her on the 17th and a dark tinted liquid came out which did seem to relieve her as her comb changed from a dark purple to red again.

Since then, she’s been uninterested in her regular feed and water. Does get excited for some treats, but not like she normally did. Mostly sits in the run tucked into herself and not moving. When given the opportunity to free range, she gladly does so and scratches around. She’s also able to get herself on and off the roost.

Her droppings were watery last week but have changed back to solid the past few days. The end of her comb is a dark red color but when brought inside to warm up (we live in NH where the temps have been in the low 30s) it does change back to red. She does not seem to have any breathing issues.

I have mixed electrolytes into her water as well as pre and probiotics. With her not wanting to drink, I have gently syringe fed her liquids.

Going to keep her in the house overnight tonight and try to get some Nutri-Drench into her to see if that helps.

She’s my favorite girl and this is our first time owning chickens. Any advice is greatly appreciated. It seems she still has some zest for life, so would love to get her back to feeling good again!

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpeg
    IMG_1071.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1073.jpeg
    IMG_1073.jpeg
    689.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1074.jpeg
    IMG_1074.jpeg
    683.8 KB · Views: 9
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry, I'm just now seeing your post.

How is your Sweet Girl doing?

It hard to know what's causing the fluid in the abdomen, sometimes it can be due to organ dysfunction and/or reproductive problems.

Since draining did seem to make her feel more comfortable and she's keen to range, I'd monitor her closely, drain again if necessary. While draining is not a cure, it can be part of supportive care and comfort.

An antibiotic may be helpful, depending on what you have on hand. Amoxicillin can help with infection, but again, it's part of supportive care.

You can also try Aloe Detox to see if that helps too.

Sometimes the best we can hope for is to provide care and comfort, see that they are eating/drinking, treat symptoms as they arise and let them continue to enjoy life as long as they can.

Thank you! I will definitely try the amoxicillin or the detox.

She’s much more active and alert when she’s in the house (I think she just wants to be a house chicken!) Her comb changes back to a normal red color and she stands with her tail in the air and head high.

I really appreciate your response & hope to get this girl on the mend!

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry, I'm just now seeing your post.

How is your Sweet Girl doing?

It hard to know what's causing the fluid in the abdomen, sometimes it can be due to organ dysfunction and/or reproductive problems.

Since draining did seem to make her feel more comfortable and she's keen to range, I'd monitor her closely, drain again if necessary. While draining is not a cure, it can be part of supportive care and comfort.

An antibiotic may be helpful, depending on what you have on hand. Amoxicillin can help with infection, but again, it's part of supportive care.

You can also try Aloe Detox to see if that helps too.

Sometimes the best we can hope for is to provide care and comfort, see that they are eating/drinking, treat symptoms as they arise and let them continue to enjoy life as long as they can.
Thank you! Do you have any suggestions on where and what to purchase for amoxicillin?

Back
Top Bottom