1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Partridge Chantecler

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leight54, May 18, 2011.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 chicks, almost 3 weeks old. "Darla"is an Ameraucana and "Nettie" is a Partridge Chantecler. I don't see much about Partridge Chanteclers here, are they not that common??

Since I only have the two chicks, the burning question is "are they both really girls?" I will be absolutely devastated if one is a rooster! [​IMG] Can anyone with Chanteclers help me know what signs to look for and when?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I have also noticed they aren't very popular. I have two- a hen and roo. My hen is the typical brown with black lacing. My roo though, is absolutley stunning. He has deep red, shiney feathers and a big black tail that has green sheen. He also doesn't have the lacing. If you look at the feathers on partridge birds, the females are more drab. You could also look at the hackle (neck) and saddle (just before the tail). Roos will have long pointy feathers and hens shorter and rounded. If you posted some picks we might be able to help you figure it out. Good luck!

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    As chicks, the boys will develop black in their feathering and a red, whereas the pullets are more of a brownish color, not shiny, and much lighter.

I could tell you from a pic from overhead, looking down on the back.

These birds aren't popular because they are hard to find. They're wonderful, though, and you'll get hooked!!

4. leight54

Thanks to both of you!

I'll try to get a picture and post it later.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have six buff chantecler chicks. They aren't as popular here in the states, but I don't know why! I adore the chicks, they love human contact and come running when I am near their brooder. They love their scritches and petting, they are so outgoing. Since I have chicks I just raised from purchased hatching eggs, I don't know what to look for either. And since chantys have a cushion comb, it won't be very prominent even in a roo. There is a Chantecler Thread in the breeds section, you could ask there and someone more experienced would definitely help out!

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Quote:If they weren't partridge, you could completely give up trying to figure out their sex for a LONG time. An old-time breeder once told me that with Chantecler, you just about have to wait until you hear that first crow. But that can be around 3 months old sometimes. It should be a little easier since you have partridge Chanty...the lacing will be the deciding factor. [​IMG]

Edited to revise my original post that came from my caffeine deprived brain. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  7. leight54

Here are some pictures of "Nettie" the Partridge Chantecler. She's the lighter colored one. I don't see any black in her feathers, just brown and tan. She's definitely lighter then "Darla", the Ameraucana. (Any guesses as to what kind of Ameraucana she is would be appreciated as well!)

Nettie on the right:
    [​IMG]

Nettie on top:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nettie on the right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for taking a look, and telling me what you think! I hope she's a she, because I can't keep her if she's a he!

8. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would say Nettie is a pullet. And I believe Darla is an EE. Hatcheries and feed stores sell them as "Americaunas". I've always had trouble sexing my EEs [​IMG] but they look girlie to me [​IMG] good luck with them!

9. leight54

[​IMG] Thank you ! That's exactly what I wanted to hear!

10. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by