partridge cochin chicks dying!!! HELP

I have chicks outside. Yes outside. Mine are with a broody hen so DO have a heat source.
What I have noticed is that even with a cool breeze they are out from under mama running around. The air temp was less then 65 and there was a pretty strong breeze.

The point is that they really do not need extreme heat and and do thrive with much cooler temps available to them.
So maybe if I pull the light back they will thrive more? I mean the cochins are the only ones that seem to have had the issue. My other chicks seem very happy and healthy!

Try the ACV in their water. Someone on a broiler thread saw his chicks dying and that actually fixed it. I still don't know what happened though.

The Cochins are larger and taller than the other breeds, and so they are more affected by the heat. Have a lower wattage bulb on hand just in case the other chicks start showing signs of overheating. And you are going to need something larger for them in another week or two.

Maybe since yours are in the house you could use a brooder with wire sides?
The pic is not to good at showing what I am suggesting but you may be able to see it.

I made transport crates for adult birds using hardware cloth and 2x2 lumber. I used some thin plywood for the bottom.
If you want more pics/better pics or more detail on how I made them let me know. They are 2x4x2 so with wire sides make for a handy thing to have. Brooder in a pinch, hospital, time out cage etc.

I do agree they are overheating. The red lights are 250 watts and to strong inside the house really. I would switch it to a 125 watt. I would also be getting a bigger brooder going.
This pic is also not great but is my bigger brooder at 3x8x2.5 so kinda big to have in the house. I found one similar in the coops section. It could be made smaller.

I have only ever heated one end and this sits in my workshop that is unheated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom