Partridge Rocks

chickenmax

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Hello. I am a new poster. I have had chickens off and on for over 30 years. My favorite breeds are Rhode Island Reds, Partridge Rocks, Barred Rocks and Brown Leghorns. I don't eat them, not that I can't dress a bird, but I married a city girl who is just now getting used to fresh eggs! I keep them because its part of my heritage and I like the birds and the eggs. I usually keep 10 to 12 hens. Right now I have 10 hens (old) and over 60 pullets of different breeds.

I have a question. When looking at Partridge Rock pics, seldom do you find one that looks like my avatar. Why is that? I ordered some over 20 years ago from Murray McMurray and the hens looked just like my avatar (the pic from Murray McMurray's catalog). I've never been able to find any that look like that with the neck feathering. I've never ordered from them since, until this year.

Thanks. I had PR's back in the early 80's from Murray Mc and all of my hens had the light neck feathering. Their genetics probably got diluted over the years.

Hm, odd question, is the bird in your photo not a Partridge Wyandotte? The comb looks flatter than a Rock's would, and the gold on the neck is a lot more present in contemporary Partridge Wyandotte lines.

Not sure where that art came from but it is the incorrect coloring for a Partridge Rock, that is probably why you don't see them like that. It may be different across the pond, but I don't own a English Standard so can't confirm. The hackle should not be light.

Back
Top Bottom