Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

So, if I mated a bearded with a non bearded what would I get? Is it just sort of luck of the draw? I like the bigger bearded silkies too.

This one was hen raised and is just wild enough not to cooperate in her best interests which makes it hard to manage her. Which reminds me I have to go give her a bath because she's egg bound.... I might just return her to the breeder.

So, if I mated a bearded with a non bearded what would I get? Is it just sort of luck of the draw? I like the bigger bearded silkies too.

This one was hen raised and is just wild enough not to cooperate in her best interests which makes it hard to manage her. Which reminds me I have to go give her a bath because she's egg bound.... I might just return her to the breeder.
Sonoran wrote this in July 2009.

"The muff/beard gene is incompletely dominant. Breeding a bearded to a non-bearded will give you partially bearded babies. They will not have full beards, but will not be non bearded, either. Unless one or both parents are partially bearded. In that case you will get 25% with full beards, 25% non-bearded and 50% partially bearded."

Nothing to do with luck, everything to do with genetics.

Hens that are prone to egg binding, often have the malady pop up through out their laying life. I do not breed from females that have this problem. It has nothing to do with the color of the chicken. In my experience, it has to do with the conformation of the hen. It can run in families.

Thanks Mumsy II, this helped a lot in my decision to keep this chicken or not. At least this breeder has enough integrity to take her back, (which means 2 hours of driving for me and a loss of about $40 in travel costs) and good info for my future breeding plans. I also found someone closer to me who sells the bearded silkies.

Next question about the partridge gene itself, what are the chances of a white or buff or black bearded silkie having a partridge?

Thanks Mumsy II, this helped a lot in my decision to keep this chicken or not. At least this breeder has enough integrity to take her back, (which means 2 hours of driving for me and a loss of about $40 in travel costs) and good info for my future breeding plans. I also found someone closer to me who sells the bearded silkies.

Next question about the partridge gene itself, what are the chances of a white or buff or black bearded silkie having a partridge?
You are welcome Berry C.

There are some undesirable traits that are hard to breed out of your birds once they get established. Some are easy to breed out in a couple generations or so. Some are more difficult. I try hard to make sure only birds of both sexes with perfect health from hatch to breeding pen get to reproduce.

I recently bred my Paint male to a selection of my recessive white females. Out of seventeen chicks, there were nine partridge chicks, three paint, three white, and two blue. It is my understanding the paint male had to have a partridge gene along with the white female to get partridge. Every one of them is different from the other in coloring. None of them are SOP in silkie partridge color but some of them are real pretty eye candy.
Because recessive white hides anything and everything, you could very well get partridge. I don't know about buff or black. It probably still holds true that to get partridge both birds regardless of color must each carry a partridge gene. So far, every white hen I've bred to the paint male has produced some partridge chicks.

Is the second from the front chick a silver partridge?

Back
Top Bottom