Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Ok I have 2 questions? I ordered some chicks from mypetchicken and since it's a variety they don't label what you get. I'm trying to figure out if this chick is partridge or buff or something else? Second question is I hatched 2 partridge out. One looks like the way it should. The second looks more blue underneath. Would this guy be considered blue partridge?
Partridge chick?

Blue partridge roo?

Sorry for the bad quality pics. He likes to move around lol.

Partridge chicks should be chipmunk pattern.

My darkest feathered boys have much lighter underfluff.

Hi all! If anyone is near Sacramento Ca I now have a few DNA sexed blue partridge silkie pullets for sale! I will post in for sale sec. just wanted to let u guys know
1f60a.png

WOW! Watson is GORGEOUS! I'm loving the partridge now- so are the roosters darker like Watson and the pullets lighter, or is it possible to get a hen that's the same colors as Watson?

WOW! Watson is GORGEOUS! I'm loving the partridge now- so are the roosters darker like Watson and the pullets lighter, or is it possible to get a hen that's the same colors as Watson?

Took me a bit to figure out who you were talking about. That color is only on the roosters. Some partridge roosters are orange.

The hens have a more subdued pattern that really blends in well with vegetation. I've had girls hide from me so I wouldn't make them go back in their pen. Some hens are red headed anx some have the gene for black heads..

Partridge chicks should be chipmunk pattern.

My darkest feathered boys have much lighter underfluff.

Yeah we have partridge I've hatched. This chick doesn't look buff though and now that it's feathering in I'm pretty sure it's partridge. I think it's just hatchery quality and that's why it's missing the stripes. All the colors are right just no stripes. :(

Hi all! If anyone is near Sacramento Ca I now have a few DNA sexed blue partridge silkie pullets for sale! I will post in for sale sec. just wanted to let u guys know
1f60a.png

Oh I want a blue partridge so bad but Sacramento is a bit of a drive for us. We are in redding. :(

Quote:

Don't think I'd use it for breeding unless you're wanting to experiment. I crossed two different partridge silkie lines and got some weirdness and that is with both parents being normal.

The chicks from the hen always have a light yellow background under the chipmunk stripes instead of the darker like my others. The cockerels will eventually feather in normal partridge colors. The pullets always turn out looking like this.

I've been experimenting with her offspring just because it's odd. I have a grandson of hers that came from one of her daughters crossed back to the other line. He was noticeably lighter as a chick and I planned to cull him because his first feathers came in white on his beard, neck, and belly. Glad I waited longer as he now has the blackest feathers there that I've had so far on a rooster. So I'm setting some eggs from him. I have his grandmother in that breeding pen as well right now. I'm very curious what crossing back to her will give me.

Yeah we have partridge I've hatched. This chick doesn't look buff though and now that it's feathering in I'm pretty sure it's partridge. I think it's just hatchery quality and that's why it's missing the stripes. All the colors are right just no stripes. :(
Oh I want a blue partridge so bad but Sacramento is a bit of a drive for us. We are in redding. :(

Awe
1f629.png
Well if u are ever up this way let me know I might have something
1f414.png

Hello everybody! I have been on BYC for a while now, but i am only getting chickens this next spring! i am also starting 4-H hopefully next year as well. i was going to buy some EE's but then i realized that the judges probably not like having a "mixed" breed so i have been looking for a good breed to have for both my first year of owning chickens, but also 4-H.

i came across partridge silkies on my thread from one of my friends, her roommate has two of them and the second i saw a picture of them i thought "i must have them for fair!" so i guess i am asking whether or not partridge silkies would be a good starter for a first time chicken owner. keep in mind i would not be selling them, just showing them for ribbons and such. thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom