Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Hello everybody! I have been on BYC for a while now, but i am only getting chickens this next spring! i am also starting 4-H hopefully next year as well. i was going to buy some EE's but then i realized that the judges probably not like having a "mixed" breed so i have been looking for a good breed to have for both my first year of owning chickens, but also 4-H.

i came across partridge silkies on my thread from one of my friends, her roommate has two of them and the second i saw a picture of them i thought "i must have them for fair!" so i guess i am asking whether or not partridge silkies would be a good starter for a first time chicken owner. keep in mind i would not be selling them, just showing them for ribbons and such. thanks in advance!

Silkies in general are a very good starter bird I think. They are very calm and laid back. The only people aggressive one I've ever had was from hatchery stock. My roosters have always been even calmer than the hens.

It was picture day before the heavy rains come in. There are a few partridge in this lineup. The blue hen came from a blue mother and partridge father, so she has muddy brown flecking on the ends of her feathers. The white cockerel on the end makes me want to tear my hair out. I need to figure out exactly who his mother is so I can remove her from the breeding pens. His father has already been removed. I'll probably have to cross the white one to small batches of hens to find out who is carrying the white gene.

This is that partridge boy on the left in the picture above when he was only 3 months old. You can see why I didn't think he'd turn out looking very good. There is the start of black coming in at this point in time.

It was picture day before the heavy rains come in. There are a few partridge in this lineup. The blue hen came from a blue mother and partridge father, so she has muddy brown flecking on the ends of her feathers. The white cockerel on the end makes me want to tear my hair out. I need to figure out exactly who his mother is so I can remove her from the breeding pens. His father has already been removed. I'll probably have to cross the white one to small batches of hens to find out who is carrying the white gene.

Love the picture!

i want to take all of these home with me!

Last edited:
Waiting for breakfast......

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom