Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

By 6-months old our Partridge male (bottom) had very colorful feathers, shiny, and brighter than his sister (walking in front of him) Female Partridge 5 to 6 months Male Partridge 5 to 6 months At around 4 months the male was exhibiting suspiciously brighter colors and streamers than his little round sister and we could no longer deny we had a boy! We had a male and female hatched on the same day so it was easy to monitor the significant differences between them.
I have 2 partridge that hatched together. They have big differences. One is fluffy but smaller and more up right. More solid coloring. This we thought was a rooster because of the carriage and behavior. The other is slightly bigger and fluffier. It has gold feathering coming in on its neck where the other doesn't. Yesterday our jubilee cockerel snuck into the bantam coop and those 2 immediately started fighting. It didn't even notice the other chicks. This is what made me suspect this silkie could be a rooster. Up until now I thought hen because she is just so loving and really a people chicken. I'll try to get pics later.. :) Mine are only a little over a couple months old. :)

Last edited:
I have 2 partridge that hatched together. They have big differences. One is fluffy but smaller and more up right. More solid coloring. This we thought was a rooster because of the carriage and behavior. The other is slightly bigger and fluffier. It has gold feathering coming in on its neck where the other doesn't. Yesterday our jubilee cockerel snuck into the bantam coop and those 2 immediately started fighting. It didn't even notice the other chicks. This is what made me suspect this silkie could be a rooster. Up until now I thought hen because she is just so loving and really a people chicken. I'll try to get pics later..
smile.png

Mine are only a little over a couple months old.
smile.png

The boys are really sweet with people. I never had two cockerels but other owners say the juvenile cockerel hormones flare up around each other. I hated to re-home my Silkie boy but he kept mating his sister up to 12x an hour and then his crow was too loud and we're not zoned for roos. Sweet little guy and not afraid of us or the camera!

After not havimg. Partridge silkies for a few years to concentrate on my blacks I decided to start over in this color and was so happy to get some hatching eggs from a couple of friends. They really are my fsvorite color. These are a few of my youngsters. I am so in love with them.
1f495.png

Last edited:

I thought that this young Silkie was most likely a pullet because her hatch mate developed so much more quickly & was even crowing at 10 weeks! However, now I'm starting to have my doubts. I sure hope I'm wrong-such a sweet little Silkie! We can't have roosters where I live. I'll try to get a better comb/waddle picture tomorrow.:(

I thought that this young Silkie was most likely a pullet because her hatch mate developed so much more quickly & was even crowing at 10 weeks! However, now I'm starting to have my doubts. I sure hope I'm wrong-such a sweet little Silkie! We can't have roosters where I live. I'll try to get a better comb/waddle picture tomorrow.:(

How old is she? She could be a pullet if she's old enough (generally older then 10 weeks). Silkie pullets really start looking like this around 15 weeks, but they all develop at different times it seems, especially if they are Hatchery Quality.

I hope she's a girl. : )

How old is she? She could be a pullet if she's old enough (generally older then 10 weeks). Silkie pullets really start looking like this around 15 weeks, but they all develop at different times it seems, especially if they are Hatchery Quality.

I hope she's a girl. : )

Thanks! I sure hope it's a girl, too! I have terrible luck getting cockerels.:( She carries herself like a pullet, isn't aggressive at all and has a very soft cluck. I never thought that she wasn't a pullet until someone commented on the comb but they only saw it in a picture & not a very good one, either. She's about 18 weeks now. I thought that her comb was getting pinkish because she's getting close to POL. She's also from a breeder. My hatchery Silkie has never gone broody & she was a year in May. The Silkie who hatched this partridge went broody at 6 months & is sitting again for the fifth time! She was also a year in May. Crazy Silkies-I love them!!
1f60d.png

Back
Top Bottom