Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Oh the boys love to play that.

I have 3 silkie/ameraucana or EE cross chicks I hatched this year. It's been several years since I had anything other than pure silkie chicks. They act so different. They are being raised by one of my friendliest silkie hens so they should be the same as the silkies a month older.

This is our partridge silkie. Approximately 9 weeks. Any guesses on gender?

(We are hoping female - her name is currently Mishka.)

Attachments

• IMG_9182.JPG
    IMG_9182.JPG
    816.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9184.JPG
    IMG_9184.JPG
    830.9 KB · Views: 30

Attachments

• IMG_8937.JPG
    IMG_8937.JPG
    628.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8938.JPG
    IMG_8938.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8939.JPG
    IMG_8939.JPG
    551.6 KB · Views: 21
I haven't had any roosters before... this may be a silly question, but what do I do if I end up with two?

If they grow up together and aren't separated, it should be just fine. Unless there are too few females. I've has no issues on ameraucanas or silkies.

I have a bachelor pen with just roosters. Three different ages in there, but the younger ones were added when they were around 12 weeks old and not seen as competition so there was never a problem.

Some small issues do arise when there are a lot of young males reaching maturity and trying to claim a higher spot in the pecking order. The oldest in there back each other up and work together to put them in their place without bullying. My hens react much more aggressively to the pecking order jockying.

Can't say that other roosters will do that, though. I've only kept my project roosters over the last couple years and they are all laid back and calm without being pushovers.

Back
Top Bottom